Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parallel to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bisawest

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
I have a customer with a problem. One of the software programs that they use will only print to a parallel port. Unfortunately, most of today's printers (and apparently all of theirs!) only have a USB connection. They and I have both searched for parallel to USB converters with no avail. I now look to the experts that read these messages to help with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with a good solution will be viewed upon as a genius, and deserves a cookie! :) Thanks in advance for any help, and have a nice day!!!

In DOS you can divert stuff between ports using the mode command thusly:

MODE LPTn[:]=COMm[:]

Maybe it would work with USB?

Thank you for the input! Could you possibly provide an example?

I have an update on this situation. First of all, I appreciate everyone's responses, Thank you. The customer is using Windows 2000 and 2003 Server /Desktop. The problem is with the Terminal Sessions (some kind of remote access software) So could this be a driver issue of some kind? Is there any way to modify the settings. Thank you, and have a nice day!!!

I have had a response from another forum saying to use the command "net use lpt1: \\computer1\laser1 /persistent:yes" (laser1 being the name of the printer) and that this would send data meant to go to LPT1 to the USB port. Will this work? Can it be incorperated into their remote access software? These may be stupid questions, but I am unfamiliar with that software. I appreciate any and all help, Thank you, and have a nice day.

Well the mode command shown above would redirect LPTx to the COMx port, so I'm wondering if it would accept USB as a port.... try

MODE LPT1:=USB:

But I dunno if the USB is addressed as "USB:" like other ports are?

Worth a try I guess?

Apparently, the USB port is not addressable as eg USB: a la LPT etc, so scratch that idea....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back