Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paragraph Styling Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoda

Technical User
Jun 6, 2006
US
I am working with some users at a newspaper where In Design CS and In Copy Cs is being used. we are running into issues of paragraph styles not adhering to the text. Sometimes we call up a document on In Design and a 4 column article has the proper body style on 3 of the columns, but the one column has small caps and is a different font. We have been running into many issues of the same type throughtout most of the computers here. Is there a specific way we need to set up the paragraph styles so that this does not happen. I guess what I am asking is for a quick primer on what the proper procudures are and what to keep in mind in creating styles

dave.lugo@oplnk.net

I use only Indesign CS, and I have a similar problem: some kind of "Small Caps disease". Entire paragraphs that must not have Small Caps, have it, even in the PDF. It happens when some paragraph before has small caps and it "infects" the next paragraph. I do not know if this is the same problem.
The only way I have found to solve it is to create PDF through Encapsulated Postscript Files (eps), and then create a PDF with adobe distiller.
It is a queer problem, maybe some kind of bug, maybe some mistake from me.

Sometimes little bugs like this (weird things that don't always happen that is) is because people (using OS X) haven't repaired their permissions. That's something you want to do frequently (just like the ol' rebuild your desktop back in the day). I do it once a week or any time things act weird. Often when I open my Tabs palette, it's just blank! I repair permissions and it's fine.

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, click your hard drive NAME (not description) on the left and choose Repair Disk Permissions.

Hope that helps some of the weirdness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back