Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox security files lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeto

Programmer
Mar 26, 2004
US
Our Paradox security files are locking up when XP users update records or update their password. Our engineers applied a security patch on the network but I don't know how to identify why it is causing Paradox security files to lock up. Has anyone else reported this? Thanks.

cheeto,

Hm. It's possible the scurity patch also affected the configuration of the network packets.

For example, older versions of Novell used to have a setting called Receive Buffer Packet Size (RBPS). This would default to 1.5 KB and would cause problems for Paradox tables because most tables used at least 4KB table buffers. Thus, you'd need three packets to transfer one table buffer.

As you can imagine, this increased packet traffic dramatically. It didn't cause an immediate problem, but things because iffy when there were many users (600) in the system at the same time. After a lot fo experimentation and research, we stumbled over the RBPS setting and increased it to 4.5KB.

As soon as we did that, all the instabilities vanished, network traffic reduced dramatically, and everyone was happy.

As you probably know, table passwords encrypt tables. thus, changing the password is a fairly serious operation, as the entire table will need to be transferred to the client and then resubmitted back to the server.

So, if anything has modified the settings controlling traffic, that would have an impact.

Yes, it's a bit of a stretch, but it's the only thing I can think of at this point.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Thanks footpad. Where do I find the RBPS? Is this on the server or the desktop? file? Thanks.

cheeto:

You don't mention what version of Paradox. There is a compatibility mode in Windows XP which is set from the properties selection (right click on file name). Depending on the version of Paradox it's best to have it running in the "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)" compatibility mode. Yes, you can have file locking and other problems if XP cannot run it in the proper mode.

Thanks beanbrain. We're on an old version--1.3.0 but I will try this suggestion with the XP version. The users are desparate and they will cooperate w/ me.

cheeto,

I no longer have access to a Novell network, so I can't say exactly where the Recevie Buffer Packet Size setting is, but try looking at the Network settings in Control Panel. Settings like this are usually in the details tabs of the various property sheets.

As far as setting the Application Compatibility settings for Paradox, please see for a walkthrough of the process.

hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back