Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox ODBC and VFP 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkButler

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
I have an application which validates a SSN against another systems Paradox database. I developed the application on a test system containing a copy of the Paradox tables. In testing the application and Paradox table access was working.

My problem is that when I installed it on the production Paradox tables I get a "Connectivity error: [Microsoft][ODBC Paradox Driver] Unexpected error from external database driver (11270)". Turns out that this happens when another user is in the Paradox database.

My remote view is not sending updates (inquiry only) but the other software package written in Delphi has the tables locked. It appears that the files are locked to any application other than the original application. I tried to link to the tale using Access and run into the same issue.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this problem?

TIA

Mark Butler

Maybe the other application use tables in exclusive mode, so you cannot have acces to those tables when the application run.

The other application is a multi-user application which allows multiple workstations running that application to simultaneously access and update the Paradox tables.

I can't seem to access these tables when any of the workstations have the application open regardless of the screen whihc is up.

Anyone else experience this?

I think the problem is that you need to specify where the NET file is in the DNS that you created.

Roy

I am using ODBC for the connection. When setting up the ODBC connection you specify the directory where the tables reside only.

I am using the "Microsoft Paradox Driver (*db)" version 4.00.6200.00 if that makes any difference.

I have now copied the tables (no indexes) to a work directory and now I can access them but get a message when I open the tables stating it is looking for a file by the name of "PARADOX.NET". This file does not even reside on my computer. I do find a file "PDOXUSRS.NET" which may or may not be related.

Any Ideas on the latest?

TIA

Mark

"PARADOX.NET" was used by Paradox 3.5 and earlier.
That changed to "PDOXUSRS.NET" in version 4.
The key thing was that each user needed to map THE SAME DRIVE LETTER to where that file was.
So map the same drive letter on your PC.
Do this even if you copied the .db files copied to your PC.

Hope this fixes it,

Andy Rice
San Diego, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back