Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox network file access on NT very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicD

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
ZA
Hi

I have a Delphi 3 app that uses paradox data files. One particular client of mine has his data files on an NT server that is accessed by Win98 PC's.

On some of these PC's the app can take up to 15min to start up (trying to open the database tables) while some of the other PC's start up reasonably quickly (but still pretty slowly).

Other clients of mine using similar setups (NT/Win98) have no problems at all with the app and the paradox tables are opened up very quickly!

All PC's are running the latest BDE (5.1.1.) and have had the recommended registry tweaks (opportunistic locking), Local Share etc done.

This is driving me nuts so can someone PLEASE HELP!!!

AAAAIIIEIEEE!!!

I'm not sure about the position regarding Delphi Apps accessing Paradox tables. However, with a Paradox App, I would ask : are the NET DIR paths defined as drive letters (e.g. M:\\NETDIR\) or as server paths (e.g. \\MYSERVER\NETDIR\)?
If the paths are not defined as drive letters users can experience a substantial delay. (Good old Bill!)

The NET DIR is mapped to a network drive "Z:\" by the program when it starts up.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Dominic

We have the same problem: 1. Installed WinNT on Server from Win98. 2. Client is still on Win98. 3. Now when we try to access the database from the client we get either, a) "Disk Error accessing file", b) "General Protection Violation...", or "File cannot be interpreted..." We can access the server directories as administrators but trying to open files fail with the above messages. We are using Paradox 9 runtime but regular Paradox 9 gives same problem.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

We use a Delphi/Paradox driven piece of software to run our marinas and it can be very slow (not helped buy bad design). We had their support in & an MSCE's but they could only find that Nortons Antivirus slowed the software slightly. They confrimed that the network was working fine and could find no solution. They also state that the system works fine at some sites but poor at others (but i suspect this is site/customer specific and therefore coding/software/build related).

Just in case, we use Compaq proliant Servers, HP Procurve Switches, NT server/W98 pc's, Only TCP/IP, bde 5.1.1, Sounds familiar ?

I don't know if this might be the cause but my client experiencing these problems has VIA chipsets on his Win98 PC's. I know that Windows has timing issues with some VIA chipsets that can cause blue screens of death at inappropriate moments. (There is no problem with Intel chipsets).

In fact we had to disable the "Numeric Data Processor" on these VIA PC's to stop these BSODs from occurring.

Could you guys with the problems check if you have VIA chipsets on your problem PC's and report back to the forum.

Thanks
Dominic

Hi All

Problem solved!
In this case it turned out that Norton Antivirus was slowing the opening of the database files to a crawl!
Simply by disabling the auto protect feature on the Win 98 PCs while starting the app solved the problem. Instead of 10-15 minutes it now takes under 1 minute.

I'm shocked that NAV can cause such a slow down. Surely it shouldn't try to scan data files (especially when these files exist on a network drive) ?

Dominic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back