Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 10 Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcRae

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
US
I don't want to trouble too many of you, but I really don't know where to start looking for help. I found your site and just jumped in. I'm not a qualified Paradox user at all. My trouble began when my wonderful Access 2, yes "2", program disks wouldn't load on my brand new Windows 2000 system. I was left with a data base filled with tables, queries and reports, but no place to put it. I installed WordPerfect 10 and the suite came with Paradox 10. I thought I could just start building my database all over again like I did in Access...that was five days ago. I can't begin to figure it out. I got a table put together but can't seem to do a query. I am not a programmer. I tried using the expert but I keep getting error messages. I'm not trying to do anything profound, just a real simple sort.
I do go on. A book. I need a book for beginners...I know you folks are much more than beginners, but can you spare a little advice before I leave and promise never to bother you again?
Thanks! Judi

Lewy, McRae,

I get my books in the computer sections of Waterstones, Foyles or best of all Borders. If you are in London then you are spoilt for choice down Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. Prestwood's books are excellent for programming also the manuals that come with Paradox from version 5 - 9 are life savers.

If you can get hold of Paradox 9 there are some reasonable tutorials attached to the help button on both general Paradox and Objectpal as well.

Regards

Bystander

PS I concur with Langley Paradox can be most pleasing once you get to grips with it. It doesn't deskill you the way Access can and your outputs can be quite stunning.

Judi,

Joe's earlier reference to "Paradox Queries, version 5 for Windows" by Dan Ehrmann is excellent. I use that a lot when it comes to query concepts and any objectPAL coding structures regarding queries you may be looking for. I believe a second volume was produced but I'm not sure.

Your choice of Paradox in general was an excellent one. It's worth the effort of climbing the learing curve.

Stan

To Lewy and McRae:
I have over ten books starting from Paradox's creation- Ansa Corporation. Email me at rconwayarl@aol.com, and I'll ship what you need- gratus. Postage should be less than $5.
Bob

"Paradox Queries, A Developer's Reference" by Dan Ehrmann is perfect. ( ISBN 1-55851-311-6, by M&T Books). Very easy to read and it covers almost everything you might want to do with queries. Good beginner's book and I still use it, after 15++ years. His explanation of crosstabs was a godsend. I got a second copy from Yahoo.
Email me any Paradox questions.

bcindc,

Actually, I think we'd prefer folks posted their Paradox questions here. That way, the answers get into the archives and can be found using google.

Just a thought...

-- Lance

Here Here.

Certainly all us novice programmers would benefit from any dialog.

By the way, I have received the books from Alibris, within 10 days, and in very good condition as well. Currently reading "Paradox for Windows Programming by Example
by Diane Tinney", seems to be pitched at just the right level. I will give you my thoughts further into the 'tome'.

Regards,

Lewy.

A couple of notes to queries: I am still struggling with one particularly long database, which has me scrolling along an endless worm. I know there is a way to attach a form to a query, but we've all been there before, and as soon as I learn more I will be back and review all the helpful information.

In the meantime it is advisable to make sure you keep the parts of your relational database short, so you can keep most of the query info page width instead of having to take a taxi to the end of the thing as I do. Use your samples to see how it is done. (I am not having a heck of a lot of luck getting my worm reduced to various data bases, so expect a really dumb question here soon.)

THere are a couple of tricks for your query that can make your life a little easier.

Your query does not have to be in the answer database on the private folder. That's a royal pain. You can choose to have it anywhere you want. I call mine "search" and have it in my working working directory.

You do this by clicking on Query > properties. You can then name the query and choose the directory . You can change it according to your needs any time you run a query.

You can also use the dialogue boxes to sort the query results (answer table) differently than the original source.

Nifty, not?

You will find further query settings under tools >settings >preferences.

If you are building some sort of constantly changing set of information be sure to check out the pre-formatted button tools in the form designer. There is very little you can do visually to a query, but you can add a number of semi automated tasks to the form you use for you original database and return to that to manipulate your information.

This includes setting up a report, copying and exporting files, etc.

Since I am a form junkie, I have created one form for all of my searches. I use automated buttons to export the information gained by each search to a folder for that client. I then use a copy folder button (both of these are under paradox dialogues in the button tool) to copy a generic form I created to the same folder.

(So I have folder: New York. I export or copy my form to F:\working\New York\NewYork.db and copy the gerneric form using the button to F:\working\New York\NewYork.fsl
I have another form for chicago and another for Cincinnatti. (actually mine read "pastry", "volume" "sous" or have clients' names.)

The first time you open the form it will prompt you to replace the original source file (in my case search.db).

You can apparently also use the buttons to start a report, but I haven't done that yet. Interesting thought, though.

I ramble.

By the way, someone has put a star in front of my name here in the assumption that I have a clue what I am doing. OK, I do have a clue, but just one. I come here in desperation. Lots. I like the book selections. Thanks.

Returning to the ObjectPal books, one of the books, "Creating Paradox for Windows Applications", came with a disk with all the source code from the book. However after installing the various programs, when I try to open a form I get the message:

"This delivered form was compiled with an earlier version of Paradox. You must recompile the source form with the current version".

As you can guess, there are no forms with an FSL suffix....Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So far Dianne Tinney's book is very good, allthough by Chapter 7 it still hasn't got to the nitty gritty of what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back