Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 10 Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcRae

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
US
I don't want to trouble too many of you, but I really don't know where to start looking for help. I found your site and just jumped in. I'm not a qualified Paradox user at all. My trouble began when my wonderful Access 2, yes "2", program disks wouldn't load on my brand new Windows 2000 system. I was left with a data base filled with tables, queries and reports, but no place to put it. I installed WordPerfect 10 and the suite came with Paradox 10. I thought I could just start building my database all over again like I did in Access...that was five days ago. I can't begin to figure it out. I got a table put together but can't seem to do a query. I am not a programmer. I tried using the expert but I keep getting error messages. I'm not trying to do anything profound, just a real simple sort.
I do go on. A book. I need a book for beginners...I know you folks are much more than beginners, but can you spare a little advice before I leave and promise never to bother you again?
Thanks! Judi

I believe the path of the least resistant may be your best choice. Unless you must use Paradox 10, how about getting yourself a copy of Access 2002. It’s about $100 for an upgrade or $300 for the full version. Hopefully, you can use your existing database without problem.

I am not sure if Mike Prestwood’s book comes with Paradox 10. If not, get a copy of Paradox 9 for power programming ( You could check for used books on previous Paradox versions, no lower than version 7. Please keep in mind that the learning curve will be steep.

Keystone makes training CD/Video for Paradox 8 ( Not exact Pdox 10, but close enough. New Horizons also has training courses on Pdox 9 & 10 (
If you are still not discouraged, post more details here and let see what we can do for you.

Thanks for your reply! I worked all day today and figured out how to import some tables from the Access database. Then I struggled to try and figure how to format the appearance of the answer table and the appearance of a report. I use the database for a calendar for six attorneys; approximately 13 fields; I make separate calendars for each attorney; calendars showing specific case activity; calendars for hearings; and calendars for trials. I also use the database for file information pertaining to every file we handle. I set the 8 x 11 page set up to landscape; margins to .5"; font is usually Universal 9; and single space. My problem is the size of the rows in the report look huge...the text is single spaced but the cells are huge!
If there is a way to copy a report once I get it the way I want it, rename it and replace the source table, I sure would appreciate knowing it. That way, if I do figure out how to make my report pretty, I can just copy it to all the other attorney reports. Am I making sense? I can't tell any more!
Thanks again for your time!
Judi

Just out of curiosity, did you try the Tutorial under Help? It's got some pretty good information in it.
It sounds like you are using table frames in your report. The individual cells can be resized, but grabbing the right component can sometimes be a bit tedious. Yes, you can save the report with a different name, then change the data model to reference a different table. Do a 'save as', then right click the field (or tableframe object) and define it. Click the data model button (looks like two folders in the upper left of the dialog box) and add the new table name. It sounds like you are rushed, so I won't go into aliases here - but if you continue with PDox you should research them. Anyway, after you add the new table, single click the old table name and hit the delete key, then close the dialog boxes. Your field (or tableframe) should now reference the correct table. If the tables are different in structure, you may have to make some changes to the report. This is a quick-and-dirty, there are better ways to do all of this but they require some study on your part. Everyone here will be happy to help you if you decide to stick with Paradox. :)

Mac
:)

I would assume each calendar is a separate table.
Do the each table uses the same 13 fields?

Langley's solution most certainly works. However, you will end up with 6 reports for each table, for each lawyer. And if you need to change one report, you will have to change the other 5. This could get crazy after a while.

Let me give this a try and see if this works for you.

You keep different calendars for each lawyers.

Each lawyer will have one calendar for case activities,
one calendar for Hearings and one calendar for Trails.

For each calendar, there is a report associated with it.

Lets go to the picture...

Lawyer Larry
|
--------------------------------------
| | |
Case Activities Hearings Trails
calendar calendar calendar
| | |
Report Report Report

Lawyer Moe
|
| | |
| | |
Report Report Report

Lawyer Curly
|
| | |
| | |
Report Report Report

The idea is to use the same report for different lawyers.

You create one report based on Case Activity table,
one report based on Hearings table and one report based on Trails table.

So, there are six Case Activity tables, six Hearings tables etc. One set per lawyer.

Let say you have performed a query on the Trails table, you can "link" the answer table to the Trails report by:
From the Project Viewer
Hight light and place cursor on Reports
Click the right mouse button.
Select Open
From the Open Report dialog box:
Enter the report name or choose from list.
Click on the Change Table button
In the Select Replacement Table dialog box
Type in: :pRIV:Answer.db in the File Name box
Click OK
Now, you are back to Open Report dialog box
Click Open.
Bingo! Your trails report is now using the answer data as the data source.

When you are done printing the report, close the report without saving it.

The advantage of this method is that one report can be used for all lawyers. If you need to change a report, you only have one to deal with one, instead of 6!

However, if you want to change one table, you will have to change 5 more!

Oh, well. Can't win them all. ;)

I am REALLY grateful to both of you! Thanks!!! I did try to use the "tutorial" but couldn't get it to answer my questions. I guess when I get this figured out, I'll go back and try again. I am sticking with Paradox. I know now from what you've said that I'm probably making this way too complicated. I have two tables 2002 Calendar and Current Calendar. I have queries based on the Current Calendar - one for each attorney's "current calendar"; a "case calendar"; a "hearings calendar"; and a "trials calendar". Since I can't get the query "answer" table to print the way I want, I did a report for each query.

MAIN TABLE = CURRENT CALENDAR
|
_QUERY LEVEL_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| | | | | | | | | |
1cal 2cal 3cal 4cal 5cal 6cal hear's trial case depo
| | | | | | | | | |
-REPORTs:--------------------------------------------------
| | | | | | | | | |
1rpt 2rpt 3rpt 4rpt 5rpt 6rpt hrgrpt trirpt casrpt deporpt

I sort the hearing, trial, case and depo queries by attorney. I guess I could add a page break somehow so each attorney prints on a different page.
I was able to manipulate the rows and columns so the report looks like a WordPerfect table. When the calendar dates have passed, I cut them from the Current Calendar table and paste them in the 2002 Calendar where I keep them for 1 year. That is the way I did it in the old Access2 program I had. BUT, when I entered data in any of my queries, it posted it in the main Current Calendar database... not so this time. I opened the CRB Calendar and entered about 14 entries. Then I closed the query. Not only did the entries not post in the Current Calendar table, they disappeared from the CRB Calendar also! Can I go back and link my reports to my queries to my main table? Or do I have to start all over at the top and work down? I'd like to make a change anywhere and have it reflected in the main table. You mentioned "data model". I don't know what that is so I'll try and find some of the reference material mentioned earlier. I also look forward to playing with the linking steps you recommended. I know I need to study, and I will. Another question I have is about the forms. I'm thinking that if I can get the attorneys to access my machine, they will be able to input their own data into the Current Calendar table with the use of a form. In Access, the form put the new entries at the END of the table, not the beginning. This enabled entries typed in the previous form to be "copied" to the next record. Is there a way to reverse the placement of data from the form to the end of the table? That way, if I could discover what the key command for copy previous field entry into new form field entry, it could be helpful when I have 5 entries with mostly similar fields. The way it is now, the previous field is "blank" because it is non-existent! And then, is it possible to e-mail a report? If I publish it to HTML will it change my Paradox formatting? I'm really afraid to test it, but if I could e-mail the reports to the attorneys, it would be helpful also! Lastly, I have a report I'll want to do when I start another data base - client/case files. The report is just going to be two columns but I want it to run a snaking column on the page. Any ideas? The information is just going to be a "file ID" and a "file code" looks something like:

HOUGHTON AFL/HOU IGNATZ, J PRIM/IGN
HUBBARD, L AFS/HUB.L IMPERO, K FMCC/IMP.K
HUGH, H AOAC/HUGH JONES, J TMCC/JNS.J

I really hope there are other "Beginners" out there reading this. I know how generous you two have been with your patient lessons. I hope other Beginners feel more confident to share their problems when they see how considerately you have helped me!
Judi

Judi, would you post the table structures for us? It will help us (me, anyway) visualize what you are trying to do more easily. Then I will tackle your questions and make some suggestions. Just so you know, Paradox can do virtually anything related to databases. It's been around since the early 80s (in DOS form) and I think once you get the hang of it you will be pleased. Plus, it integrates with WordPerfect beautifully. I strongly recommend getting Prestwood's book, which Joe mentioned. There is another (out of print) book that you might search for called 'Paradox Queries' (the author's name escapes me at the moment). It was written for version 5 but it makes no difference, as queries and QBE haven't changed. It is light on ObjectPAL coding and heavy on interactive use of Paradox. You should be able to find it at (used book search engine).

Mac

Mac: I would love to "post the table structure" but I haven't a clue how. I am at work at the moment and have the program at my disposal. Please let me know what I should do first. Thanks!
Judi

What I mean by table structure is a list of the field names and types for each of the two tables. It makes it easier for me to visualize what you are doing.
Mac

Ok:
NO. FIELD NAME TYPE SIZE MIN MAX DEFAULT PIC REQ
1 YR A 7
2 MO A 30
3 DA A 29
4 HR A 5
5 FILE ID A 11
6 CASE NAME A 25
7 ACTION A 11
8 COMMENT A 83
9 LOCATION A 16
10 ATTY A 6
11 NOTES A 50
12 ENTERED A 12
13 REMOVED A 12

This is what the table structure is and (what the entries usually look like). "Year" (02), "Month" (03), "Day" (04), "Hour" (0930), "File ID" (AFL/DER), "Case Name" (AFL v. Dermott), "Action" (Hearing), "Comment" (Motion to s/c), "Location" (Harris Co. CCL1), "Atty" (REP), "Notes"(defendant not served), "Entered" (02/03/02), and "Removed" (03/04/02).

For the various queries, I just sort or filter the specific field depending on how specific I want the answer table.

I know my "types" and "sizes" need work. I just took what I could get to make it work.

Is it nuts? AM I NUTS?

Thanks again!
Judi

A quick question: Are you using the Report Expert?
I recommend you don't. Let's take it one step at a time. When you run a query, an ANSWER.DB table is created in the PRIV directory (this is the default private directory for Paradox). If you create a brand new report after running the query, you can base the new report on the ANSWER.DB file. When you drop your fields on the report and define them, you will be selecting them from ":pRIV:ANSWER.DB". Now, once you get all the fields you want on the report between the record bands, I would them insert a Group Band by ATTY and place a pagebreak in the lower half of the band (then you don't need the ATTY field inside the main record band anymore - giving you more room). This will produce a page for each Attorney. As long as all the fields are included in your query, this report will work as a generic for all three queries (case, hearings, and trial).

Let me know if you follow this, and I'll move on to the next topic.

Mac

The Book is:
A complete Reference, Paradox Queries, version 5 for Windows
Publisher: M&T Books
Author: Dan Ehrmann
ISBN: 1-55851-401-5

Having read through all the messages on this thread, I have looked at the books on and I am at a loss as to which are the best one('s) to purchase. I currently use version 7 32 bit under Win 98 having upgraded from ver 3.5. My problems are realy to do with ObjectPal and assigning code to pushbuttons and automating forms with lookups. I am currently upgrading an application which records client details in an opticians.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be very much apreciated. As Judi has said, the help given in this forum is tremendous, I just feel very guilty that I haven't the knowledge to reciprocate.

Many thanks,

Lewy

Thanks Lewy! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Today I have some time so I'm getting my first book from JoeNg's recommendations. Then I'm working on the task from Langley. Yes. I am using the "Report Expert". I don't know how to begin without it! Sorry. I'll let you know how my first assignment goes!
Judi

The Prestwood and Ehrmann books are 'must haves' for Paradox programmers. I still refer to them frequently. Judy, the Report Expert is okay for simple tasks, but you should experiment with designing your own. The standard blank report has the following sets of bands: Report, Page, and Record. You can then add Group bands. Repeating records go between the record bands. Repeating group values go between the group bands, but outside the record bands. Things you want at the beginning of the whole report go between the top report band and the top page band. Things you want at the end of the whole report (such as totals) go between the bottom report band and the bottom page band. Items you want repeated for each page (like headings) go between the page bands, either above or below the record bands. This sounds complicated but after you've done it a few times you will get the hang of it. If you get stuck, email me with a copy of your table (with some sample data) and I will knock out a quick example report for you to study.

Mac

One slight problem!

Half.com only deliver to the US.....That leaves us 'Brits' to go looking elsewhere. To think I spent 40 mins filling up my shopping cart with all sorts of Paradox goodies only to be told this when reaching the checkout!!

Such is life. Keep me informed of your progress Judi. Good luck.

Lewy

These companies offer training on Paradox in form of on-line or video.

KeyStone

New Horizons

I have scanned through and only one book I think could be helpful in your quest to learn ObjectPAL. There is a little bit more info on . Do a search on amazon using the ISBN # 1-56529-0836

Paradox for Windows Programming by Example
by Diane Tinney

Amazon.com also carry used books, I think it will ship to non US address. But verify this with amazon.com

Thanks everyone,

I have managed to order 3 books via Albiris.com which deliver worldwide, albeit a 3 week delay!

Happy Easter everyone.

Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back