Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panther upgrade and Classic OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoodie

MIS
Mar 21, 2003
GB
I've only been using Macs for about 18 months so I know very little about OS9/Classic, but I occasionally have a requirement for it when running old apps. When I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2 about a year ago and found I'd lost the OS9 that came pre-installed with the machine about six months earlier. This was not a real problem as I can make do without but as I'm about to upgrade to 10.3, with a fresh install, I'd like to know the process for enabling OS9 on a new installation, for flexibilities sake.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

spoodie

When I moved from OS-9 to OS-10.2.3 (Jaguar), the CD pack included an installation disk for OS 9.2, which OS-X requires to run Classic, and which you have to install first. Older versions of OS-9 don't work. OS-10.3 may need a newer version of OS-9, but if it's not included in your pack it'll be downloadable from the Apple site.

but if it's not included in your pack it'll be downloadable from the Apple site

Can you provide a link? I'm confused why Apple would offer this as a free download. Apple has wiped their website clean of a lot of OS9 material.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Ooops - I got you Ed... You were referring to the updates which are downloadable up to version 9.2.2.

Spoodie still needs to find an OS9 CD (either in his closet or on eBay)

- - picklefish - -

I was more concerned about the technical side of installing and running two versions of the OS on one machine, I understand I may need to partition my harddrive? Also, what are the keys I need to press at start-up to select an alternative boot device?

The media I can get hold of without too much trouble, I have my ways. :-D

Thanks for your help so far.

spoodie
===================
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the only way to be sure."

You can (and should) run OS9 and OSX on the same partition.

Boot devices are selected with the 'Startup Disk' control panel or preference pane. You can also force boot into OSX by holding the 'X' key at boot.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back