Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panther Server Forwarder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndunaz

MIS
Nov 11, 2003
US
I have just set up an xserve with Panther 10.3.2 And I am trying to set up the same kind of "forwarding" I have on my Win2k server on this Mac server. In the Win2k world, it forwards requests that it can't resolve itself to the isp dns which seems to be working fine.

When I set up the "forward" type on my Mac's DNS it seems to be fowarding EVERYTHING not just those that fail (so then it can't find our internal intranet server names etc) Any ideas if the forward type is what I want, and what the settings should be?

Any help appreciated.

Are you using your own ip address first, with the isp as a backup? You should be able to resolve using local first, and if it can't resolve, it then goes to the isp. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

Thank you for your response. I have added the second server (isp ip) into the network properties of the nic, so will see if this gives us what we need. Thank you, since that was a "no-no" in Win2k I guess I just figured it would not be a good idea on the Mac.

Thanks again.

Actually, if you have a MS W2k server running dns, you always want the server to be the first ip address, and the isp to be the backup. Users then have only the local dns server listed for name resolution. When client 1 says take me to it looks to the local server. If the local server has the name in cache, client 1 gets there almost at once. If the local server doesn't have the ip address, it goes to the isp, and once it has found the ip address, it is now in cache and then client 1 gets there faster the next time. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back