Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pane window that user can paste excel columns into

Status
Not open for further replies.

RycherX

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
I want my java application to display a FORM
where a user can paste from an excel sheet 2 columns onto a pane on the java application form. After pasting 2 columns of as few as one row to as many as a hundred rows, user will hit the submit button. This will ultimately update a table in oracle with what has been pasted onto the pane.

Question: How do I create an excel looking pane where I can adjust the size of the pane window? It must allow users to paste excel columns.

Since you don't know how many rows will be pasted, I'd say you can't display the exact number of rows in your java application until they're pasted.

My advice: write an Excel macro that updates the database directly from Excel.

Ooops, this is a Java forum.

Maybe you could look at JTable class, that's nice to display rows and columns.

I admit I hava no idea if a direcy paste on the JTable will produce the desired effect but AFAIK, when you copy/paste from an Excel sheet you just get tab/newline separated fields, so I gues you could always write a listener that reads that and fill the appropiate fields.

Cheers,
Dian

If it HAS to come from Excel, I'd say you're using the wrong tool. Get VS .NET and use it, it'll be much easier.

That said, look into the Cliboard class and tutorial, they may help you.

M>

Is it possible to display JTABLE with JSP?
How would I call JTABLE to do a display on the browser?

OK, enough.

What do you want EXACTLY to do? You said a Java application, I assumed it was an standalone application. Now you talk about JSP and browsers.

I'd recommend you to ellaborate a little your post to give more details, the it will be easier to help you.

Btw, there's a specific forum for JSP questions.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back