Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panasonic Kx-TA1232 Extension to IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemman

Technical User
Nov 19, 2013
US
So I am trying to integrate our Kx-TA1232 with a Shoretel IP phone system 200 miles away by proxy. Previous to the Shoretel upgrade at the far end a couple months ago our Panasonic 1232 was handed 4 CO dial tones we brought into the 1232 as CO 4,5 and CO 6,7 and brought out to each extension on flexible CO buttons 4,5,6 and 7, they rang all extensions. I have been told by our comm engineer that the Shoretel will not work the same as before. Now we will be handing the Shoretel 4 dial tones from the Panasonic 1232's add on extension box port 117,118,119, and 120. SO I need the new extensions to ring all the old 2XX extensions when a call originates from each and all the existing 2XX extensions to be able to use each of the new extensions (117-120)to place a call from the flexible CO buttons preferably.

I hope this makes sense, I just can't seem to be able to get the Panasonic books to reveal the right codes to make this happen.

thanks
Chuck

You will be able to call any extension from the shoretel as when they pice up a trunk with Panasonic extensions on it. If you set up extension groups on the 1232 they can call a range of phones on your 1232

Because you are Now a co port on the shoretel you can dial the extensions 117-120 and ring whatever the co lines on the shoretel are programmed to ring or have them answered by a disa/ attendant so the 1232 can dial any phone on the shoretel

If you can setup a extension group in circular ring you could put the 4 extensions on the 1232 on one number and will ring which extension is free to the shoretel

That all seems reasonable obtsystems. Currently we have 3 CO lines available from dialing 9 or from 3 of the flexable CO buttons, I was hoping to set the 4 lines up so thet a free extension is selected when 8 is dialed, I seem to remember CO lines can be setup that way but I don't know about extensions and the command to use. I would also like to set the 4 extensions to show on the flexible CO lines on all phones so they can be answered from any extension. I have them showing on EXT:1 but it dials the extension when I select the flexable CO button instead of picking up the line for a dial tone.

To put on buttons, set them up as dss keys.

You can't select using 8 for extensions but if you do set dss key on all the phones you can press a free one to call other system

Thanks, I set up 4 buttons on all the extensions for the 4 new "trunk lines" to the Shoretel. Then I set a 5th button up as a Phantom extension 100 and will just use that to answer from any extension if the Shoretel caller dials 100. I also set the new extensions in their own circular ring group. We will see how things work next Monday when the "trunk lines" are established through the Adit 600 T1 via microwave and fiber link. That will go real smooth or not so much.

Thanks for the food for thought obtsystems.

So here is how our engineering guy thinks this will work:

ShoreTel does not provide a secondary dial tone for any trunks.

Here is how I see this working for 1232 to ShoreTeL calls:
1. From 1232, using a telephone on your Panasonic, a user dials one of the new extensions that you have defined for the Adit.
2. The Panasonic rings this extension, which is detected by the Adit.
3. The Adit passes a loop-start signal to the Shoretel.
4. The ShoreTel goes off hook, which opens the Adit channel between the ShoreTel and Panasonic.
5. The ShoreTel sends it's auto-attendent message.
6. At 1232, the user hears "Please enter the extension you are trying to reach".
7. The 1232 user enters the 3-digit ShoreTeL extension and the ShoreTel routes the call to that extension.

For ShoreTeL to 1232 Calls:

1. At ShoreTeL, a user calls the 2-digit 1232 trunk code + 1232 extension + # (e.g. 76200#). This is how the trunks to other sites are handled at ShoreTel.
2. The ShoreTel opens one of the trunk ports to 1232. This always occurs in reverse order starting with Trunk 4. If Trunk 4 is currently used, then it will grab Trunk 3.
3. The Adit detects the open trunk port, and initiates a loop start connection on the associated Panasonic extension.
4. Once the connection to the Panasonic connection is open through the Adit, then ShoreTel sends the extension digits to the Panasonic (e.g. 200).
5. The Panasonic routes the call. Steps 3-5 are basically the same as if someone has a standard analog telephone connected to the new Panasonic extension, picks up the telephone, and dials the digits.

Just to fill in all the blanks for anyone listening. We shall see on Monday afternoon when it is all connected up.

So we have a problem. Our ShoreTel will not pick up the line when it sees the double ring sent by the 1232, it seems to need one long ring. Any body what program does that double ring?

Don't think there is a setting in the 1232 to change internal ring as a single long ring.

obtsystems, so I have looked and looked and the only way I think I can get around this is to loop the extension back to an extra CO port and then direct that CO to ring on the Shortel's extension. Think I will give that a try in the morning.

Unless someone can come up with a program fix?

I'm the one that responded to your thread on the other forum. Like I said there, the method described above is still going to give you issues with disconnect supervision and will be a major programming headache.

If the ringing pattern is the only issue left, it would probably be easier to pull the 1232 out and replace with a used 624 or newer TDA that actually has that feature....

Yup, you are right TAinKC, disconnect supervision is the issue now. Humm

I am sure it would be easier to change the ring detect timer on the shoretel than change the Panasonic ringer

So do you guys know why it won't disconnect properly?

Yes....when a normal loop start line is disconnected it sends a signal when the caller hangs up (usually reverse polarity) to tell the system to let the line go. When you loop a CO line within the system to an extension port there's no way for this to happen. If you've ever worked with an old Norstar that doesn't have the "DS" circuitry this is why they don't work with voice mail...it's the same type of issue. No way to overcome this.

If you can't adjust settings within the Shortel unit to recognize the double ring, only other way I can think to maybe make this work is to replace the KSU with one of the models that allows you to change the ring pattern setting...

I havn't figured a way to make the thing disconnect properly. I can't get another because of the sequester(yes I do work for the fed). I have disconnected the 4 trunk lines because the loopback disconnect problem, the system only works for me and anyone else inevitably will loop the lines and tie them up. ShoretTel has not come back with a way to change the ring detect. I keep telling the two guys I work with "What would Ted Cruz do?" He hasn't answered.

Politics aside, the disconeect supervision can be derived from a module available from Viking Electronics. If you insist on trying to interface a Panasonic extension to a Shoretel trunk, it would be necessary in just about any sequence. A CPC-1 (or CPC4) will fill the bill
LkEErie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back