Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PALOMINO - THOROUGHBRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxIllEmpirexX

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
If my motherboard supports the palomino cpu, wouldnt it also support the thoroughbred, because i cant seem to find palomino xp 2000 for a cheap price like thoroughbred

You should have a look at the manufacturers website to see the max supported frequency of your board; amd changed a bit while switching from palomino to thoroughbred.

A motherboard cannot tell the difference between a palomino or a thoroughbred. You should grab a thoroughbred instead of a palomino, the noticable difference being the thoroughbred puts out less heat! There're other differences between them, but nothing that alters performance.

Actually, I lied, the motherboard does know the difference with a different voltage setting. Palomino takes 1.75v, the Thoroughbred takes 1.50-1.65v depending on the model. Just check the motherboard can set itself to this range.

I have to disagree here, there are several motherboards models from differant manufactues that won't support the Thoroughbred version of an XP and I personally had problems with an MSI 6380 Via KT266a
chipset motherboard that only supports Palomino.
Best check the motherboards website.
True Thorouhbred runs cooler compared to Palomino at any given CPU speed but they perform the same.
Also AMD did send out a sevice bulletin about the use of copper based or all copper heatsinks on the Thoroughbred core due to it's reduced core size and the better heat transfer characteristics of copper or similar materials, although contrary to this Thoroughbred retail CPU's come with an all Aluminium scrived design heatsink.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I have to disagree here, there are several motherboards models from differant manufactues that won't support the Thoroughbred version of an XP and I personally had problems with an MSI 6380 Via KT266a
chipset motherboard that only supports Palomino.
Best check the motherboards website.
True Thorouhbred runs cooler compared to Palomino at any given CPU speed but they perform the same.
Also AMD did send out a sevice bulletin about the use of copper based or all copper heatsinks on the Thoroughbred core due to it's reduced core size and the better heat transfer characteristics of copper or similar materials, although contrary to this Thoroughbred retail CPU's come with an all Aluminium scrived microfin design heatsink.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

What your motherboard will support has to be designed into the motherboard. Sometimes with a BIOS update, a motherboard designed to go up to 1.4 Gig Athlon will support up to a XP2400+ processor or maybe higher like the Asus A7V266-E, which is incompatible with the XP operating system.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

"Asus A7V266-E, which is incompatible with the XP operating system."

Huh? I'd sure like to see something to back up that statement, before I denounce it to be totally false ;-)

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

well i know that the ASUS motherboards all perfectly fit the windows XP formats, but I do not know the specifics. I however did check the manufacturers site and found that on the motherboard specs it specificaly says (Palomino) so its a good thing i didnt get the thoroughbred. Thanks to all you teks out there, this site rocks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back