Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PalmUSBD.sys Blue screen crash!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US

Everytime I do a Hotsync, my laptop crashes. I get the following error message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf2699D4A)

PalmUSBD.sys - Address F2699D4A base at F2698000, Datestamp 3b1666f4

or

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf6A92D4A)

PalmUSBD.sys - Address F6A91000 base at F2698000, Datestamp 3b1666f4

etc.

Looks like a problem with the Palm USB driver? Any ideas? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I have this same problem. I used the SAME hardware and software on another computer here at home and NEVER had this issue. The only difference I can think of would be my new computer has a Firewire port. Thinking of disabling that to see if it fixes the issue.

Annoying.

A

I don't have a firewire port on my computer. In any event, the problem has magically resolved itself after umpteen million uninstall and reinstalls. I will say, though, that I still cannot figure out how to get the hotsync process to go back to putting home addresses that appear in Outlook on to my PDA. Any advice as to how that's done???? It used to do it, and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong or not doing now that is won't do it any longer. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I can at least hotsync again. I hate computers.

I am having a similar problem on windows 2000
I have a sony clie nx70 with the cradle in the usb etc
and when i try to get my memory card workin it doesn't work.. it asks for sony peg mass storage driver ... i am told palmusbd.sys is the driver for this but when i try to point it, it says it's not a suitable driver... if anyone knows how to get this working any help would be greatly appreciated!

Been following this intently!
Dell 4800, P4 Hyperthreaded.
WinXP Pro, SP2. Synching (or trying) to a Handspring Visor Pro and experiencing the 'palmusbD.sys' BSOD - all the time..
same DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL as opened thread with.
different memory locations. Obviously a driver problem.
Software involved is legal, called TimeMatters version 6.0.

Latest PalmDesktop software as suggested here. Note that earlier TM ver 4.0 and XP SP1 (not 2) did work. Any help or solutions greatly appreciated.

Might be a sp2 issue. Have you contacted technical support for your device?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

CAnnot say for 'sure' that it is NOT an SP2 issue, but here is what I did today.
Had the same exact "latest" PalmDesktop software and drivers. Had 'two' Dells, nearly identical EXCEPT the new 4600 has a hyperthreaded P4 CPU enable in the BiOS... the earlier model DOES not.
Same software involved, same versions except Office 2003 on the latest and Office XP on the older System.

Two identical USB cradles, setup for USB and local serial...
The Visor Pro on the 'new' HYPERthreaded system would crash out with BSOD on EVERY synchronization of 'data'... did NOT crash when doing first sync, no data.
The same Visor Pro SYNCHED flawlessly on the OLD, *non*-hyperthreaded computer... go figure?
Thanks.

Which one had the serial cradle? To be honest, I always found more reliability with the serial cradles, but I have been told by the people at Palm that the serial cradles are not supported on XP.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Neither is a 'serial' cradle. Both are USB, but in the SETUP of the HotSync it has always been the suggested best method to select local serial and USB for the connectivity. I would believe it somehow works thru some interface. I have done that for a long time. But at any rate, having just the USB selected vs. both did NOT make a difference on the HyperThreaded machien, BSOD EVERY SINGLE time we did a synch from the software (Time Matters, version 6.0 - legal software)... NOT doing that on the non-hyperthreaded machine, same software, same basic setup of HotSync and Palm Desktop. Thoughts???

Sorry, I misread your previous post. Okay, have you tried swapping the cradles? Perhaps uninstalling Timematters as a test, and then synching?

Matt J.

Yup, used the cradles on both PCs... we don't really have ANY data to SYNCH w/o Time Matters involved. No OUTLOOK, so forth. And I would imagine that the 'synching of real data' is the test (which is failing)... the VERY first SYNCH of the PALM Desktop, after installation - as I said, no data, seems to go fine, but of course with no data it only takes a moment.

Of course, as I said, the SYNCH works GREAT on the NON-HYPERTHREADED machine, with data or at the get go before we set up the Time Matters to synch with the PDA/Visor PRO.

Ever so weird. Thanks.

What does Time Matters do? Sounds like a contact manager, and based on the fact it is a legal software, I'm guessing you can control billing per client, based on time, like TimeSlips. Does it actually use Microsoft Outlook?

Matt J.

Nope, does NOT use Outlook at all... a completely contained PIM for Lawyers... a bit of a pain btw... would never suggest it for users but hey, this firm has it. What can I do, ;^)

But no Outlook at all... simple resets the Palm Desktop and does all configurations in setup and then, when the PDA begins it sync, it looks to Time Matters as the 'source'.

I've tried writing over the Palm data, leaving it, so forth, no difference, except the HYPERThreading variation, with does not work, without will sync... go figure.

Yeah, I'm a bit stumped. Both computers have SP2?

Matt J.

Yes, both are XP Pro, SP2 and almost IDENTICAL relative to software installed. Same version of TMatters, so forth.
Only difference is hyperthreading and I've read a lot of folks are having problems with Hyperthreading and Palm drivers. Might just turn hyperthread off in the BIOS and see if that makes a difference. Worth a shot... but don't know how much real performance is / would be lost... kinda thinking not too much. Trying it all.

Yeah I doubt the difference will be missed unless they have an application optimized for this. Even then, cad and graphics programs would probably be the only ones that would take a hit. Give it a shot.

Matt J.

This is very similar to my experience, except that my spontaneous reboots only occurred about 50% of the time. Note that I was running XP SP1.

I finally resolved this by getting rid of my P4 laptop and replacing it with a Pentium M laptop.

More practical alternatives include:
1. buying a serial cable and using that ... but this operates very slowly
2. if your PC has an infrared port, sync via infared (extremely slow)
3. trying to disable hyperthreading on the P4 system's BIOS (although this didn't help in my case)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back