Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PalmUSBD.sys Blue screen crash!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US

Everytime I do a Hotsync, my laptop crashes. I get the following error message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf2699D4A)

PalmUSBD.sys - Address F2699D4A base at F2698000, Datestamp 3b1666f4

or

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf6A92D4A)

PalmUSBD.sys - Address F6A91000 base at F2698000, Datestamp 3b1666f4

etc.

Looks like a problem with the Palm USB driver? Any ideas? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Hi I am still having this problem - - if you have any suggestions, please let me know.... thanks!!!

Can you give more details? Which version of Palm Desktop Software do you have installed (since the driver gets installed with the desktop software)? Which Palm device do you have? Are you running Windows 2000 or XP?

AlphaGuy

Sorry for that... here are the details:

- I am using the Sony Clie PEG-T425
- Windows XP Professional, SP1
- Windows Office 2003
- Palm Desktop 4.0.1 (I sync my Palm with Outlook 2003)
- HotSync Manager 4.0.1

Please help! Thank you very much!!!!

The current version of Palm Desktop is 4.1, which likely contains an updated driver. You should try downloading the latest version as it will probably solve your problem.

Let us know how it goes.

AlphaGuy

If that doesn't help, do a clean uninstallation, and actually I would reinstall off the original CD.

I've had issues sometimes after upgrading the software.

Let us know.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks guys - - I uninstalled the older version and installed the latest version of Palm Desktop, which I downlaoded from Palm's website (v4.1). It seems to be working fine so far...

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to USB. USB devices conk out every so often, you have to reinstall the software. I like the serial cradles, but they don't work on xp. When palms first came out, we were always reinstalling the software. As soon as we would swap the cradle(s) with a serial one, problems would go away.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Now this is interesting ... what sort of laptop do you have?

My situation is similar, and I get the same errors when I hotsync. I have a Sager NP4060 laptop. This has the detailed description:

It has a desktop 3.0GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM.

The thing is, I (already) have Palm Desktop 4.1 installed. When you look at more detailed information within Palm Desktop, it says that PalmUSBD.sys is version 1.4.0.

Does anyone have any other ideas? The not-so-brilliant Sager tech support says that I should try running the machine in SAFE mode, but naturally the situation wouldn't occur there. I've already run some memory integrity tests, and based upon what the OP has written here, I suspect that it's a driver issue.

Question for OP ("rasu") ... is your system truly stable now since you upgraded to Palm Desktop 4.1?

Just joined this site and I am experiencing something similar to what Rasu first reported. However, I ahev upgraded to version 4.1, and I am still getting the USB Device Not Recognized error message, and the blue screen crash referencing the drive when I try to force Windows XP "Professional" to load the driver, which the install doesn't seem to do. Everything was working fine with my hotsynching for ever and ever and then out of nowhere about three weeks ago I start getting the Devcie Not Recognized message, and I look in Device Manager and everywhere else and sometimes there's no Handspring, and sometimes there is, and when there is I'm told there are no drivers loaded, and on and on and on.

Oh yeah, I'm running XP Professional and I'm using a Handspring Visor Prism, trying to hotsynch via a USB hub and direct plug in to the USB port. Nothing works. Can anyone help me?????

Have your reinstalled the software?

Matt J.

I have removed and reinstalled over and over. I've reinstalled version 4.0.1, and I went and got version 4.1 after reading this thread. In any event, I could get a hotsynch after a reinstall on some occasions, but then it wouldn't work again. The focus of the problem seems to be the driver. I ususally get a device not recognized error message when attempting the hotsynch, though, frequently, I get no message at all and it just doesn't work. I've gone into device manager and it reports that there's no driver some times, or on occasions it has even recognized that its a Handspring device, but won't install a driver no matter how I go about trying to make it do it. Finally, I got out the cd-rom and installed from there (it says desktop version 4.0.1 and hotsync version 3.1--both of which I attempted to install from the versions of same I downloaded from Palm's site)and this seems to have sorted things out and it will now hotsync over and over. I am going to reboot now to see whether that then gives rise to whatever the software and/or hardware conflict may be. This is all too weird.

Do you have a hyperthreaded or multi-CPU system? E.g., many Pentium 4s are hyperthreaded.

In principle these problems should only occur on these types of systems. I still haven't resolved the problems on my P4 hyperthreaded laptop.

I just did a shutdown and reboot and the thing won't work again. Same issue with the device not recognized error message and then I open up the thing to find that there is supposedly no driver installed, so I just went to add hardware to try to force it to accept a driver again and this time it sees that there is a Handspring device but puts the yellow circle on it with an exclamation mark and says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". My machine is running a single AMD 900 cpu and it's a hack job that I put together myself, but the thing has been doing hotsyncs without trouble for the two years I've owned it until a few weeks ago when all this nonsense started.

O.k., this is really, really wierd now. Magically and for no reason I can determine the hotsync function is now working just fine. I've done a shutdown and reboot twice more and it works fine now. Is this a motherboard USB plug problem????

I would see if there are updated drivers for that motherboard, and I would take the time to scan for virus and spyware too.

Matt J.

As far as drivers for the motherboard, can you tell me how to find them, as I've always depended on the Microsoft Update scanner to tell me when there were new SiS drivers. As to spy ware and viriis, I've scanned using Spybot and AdAware and using Pc Cillin 2003 and the Panda online scan, and nothing turns up on any scans.

Go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer. If you aren't sure, you'll have to open the case to see who the manufacturer is, and what model number. They should be on the board itself, not on any of the chips.

Matt J.

I checked things out at the SiS site and at Microsoft's update site as well, and it would appear that I have everything as current as current can be, though, SiS lists my motherboard as now being "mature" (thank God it is, cuz I'm sure not!). In any event, all available updates, etc.,, are installed and have been since the end of February. The hotsyncing is still working, but I'm going to do a shutdown and reboot to test it once again, and I'm certain that it will "lose" the driver once again and I'll need to either force it to find it or reinstall everything all over again. Any further thoughts why this is happening????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back