Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm or Windows Based OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdkz

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
US
I have been tasked with acquiring a palm based solution for our organization.
I have look at Palm OS and Windows OS for handhelds and numerous development environments. We need a solution that our programmers can develop in (mainly Microsoft shop) for a wide variety of applications including bar code scanning and inventory controls.
We will need to choose a operating system, development tool, and handheld equipment. I need to be able to sync with a pc and transfer files.
Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this area? I hope it is not to broad of a request, but any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Greg

If your are mainly a Microsoft shop, I would definately get the Pocket PC. There are alot of hardware and software applications that will fill your needs nicely. For development you can use Visual Studio .Net 2003 or even the free development tools that Microsoft offers

You will need eMbeddedC++4.0 for WM2003 OS. I personally think that VS 2003.Net would be better.

Let me know if you need more info/insight.

Dave

Hey, thanks for the input. I have looked into the Appforge MobileVB development tool and see that it supports both Palm and Windows, while using Visual Basic.

I think I have enough to go on.

Thanks again,

Thanks,
Greg

I would offer that EITHER operating system could/would meet your needs. While I would lean towards Windows, Palm is competitive (if not because they have been doing it longer), and there are plenty of applications pre-existing.

i think the bottom line is comfort, availability,and cost. Just my $.02

Scott

I have supported Both for a while, and I have owned and messed around with Both. Go for POCKET PC. Your shop is mostly microsoft, the software will interact better with the pocket PC. Palm is good, I had no complaints with it, but for the money, ppc is your best bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back