Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm Entourage conduit sync for OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2001
US
Anybody know when MS will deliver the Palm sync conduit for Entourage OS X? I foolishly updated to OS X assuming that this beast already existed (and that I wouldn't have to purchase X.2 five months later as well!). Any suggestions for synching while we await the arrival of this conduit? My palm and Entourage are drifting perilessly apart.
Paul Philpott

Macmend: Thank you for your very valuable information. I went to the site you provided, found the software you described, downloaded it, and successfully installed it exactly as described in the readme file associated with the software. However, my Palm and Entourage still do not synch. Any suggestions?

I upgraded my mac to OSX about a month ago. And that's how long it's been since I synched my Entourage with my Palm. Thanks!

OK which palm and which version of palm OS do you have?

Macmend:

My Palm XV runs 3.5 (should I pay for the upgrade?) and yes I've loaded the Palm desktop for OSX. This same Palm synched no problem with my OS9 Palm desktop. I prefer to use IR rather than the cradle. Thanks! Paul Philpott

I just wonder if you need POS4 for it to work across X

macmend: I suppose it makes sense that the new Mac OS X Palm desktop would require that the palm devices have the new Palm OS 4. But: If the desktop can't synch with the Palm 3.5 OS, then how could I even load the new Palm OS from the Desktop folder onto the Palm?

I have searched palm.com and apple.com but have not found any evidence of Palm users synching to OSX.

Yes, Microsoft finally released a conduit for Entourage for Palm users, and I have successfully employed it.

But WARNING: Mac OS X appears to NOT support the IfraRed ports that came with the OS 9 laptops. Apparently, Apple has selected to replace Infra Red with Blue Tooth, and to do so without providing the ability for OS X to handle IR. Not only that, but some of the laptop modles Apple has released in the past year or so contain neither IR port nor a BlueTooth port. It seems that only the laptops made after Jan 25, 2003.

For laptops made prior to then (even those like mine, with a now-useless IR port), you must purchase a USB-BlueTooth "dongle", and trade-in your IR-PDAs for BlueTooth-PDAs. Or you can hot-synch using a Palm cradle. But that involves an entirely new process for OS X. The Palm Conduit settings that worked in OS 9 do NOT work for OS X, and you must download a new file from palm.com.

(One good thing: if you want to switch between synching via BT and USB, you won't have to manually switch anything on the Mac, as you used to in OS 9 if you wanted to switch between USB and IR.)

My frustration in sticking with Apple during the transition from OS 9 to X has been profound. I lost about 8 months of not being able to hot-synch my Palm while awaiting an Enrourage conduit. I was very angry that the OS X documentation didn't warn me about this... and angry again when I had to pay so soon for OS X.2.

Paul Philpott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back