Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm Development 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikZ

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
US
I'm thinking about picking up a IIIxe and was wondering, how hard is it to program for one of these things? If I use a development suite, will I get a usefull executable or will it be this huge nasty program. (ie: Do I have to progarm in assembly to make anything worthwhile.)

Just curious,
ErikZ

that really depends, I have asked questions earlier about development platforms etc (with not much luck of a reply)

as far as I can find
there are three major ones I've looked at

AppForge (this is a VB Addin, it lets you develop palm applications thru Visual Basic)

Mobile Builder 2 (this one seems to be very into it, I belive using C++ as the base language, catch it it not only develops for Palm, but for DOS , windows, etc )

CodeWarrior 7 for PalmOS
(same here, only strictly for the palm, it does it in C++)

heres the big problem

Appforge = 700$
Mobile Builder 2 = 1500$
CodeWarrior 7 for Palm = 300-400$

the development software prices just for the palm are expensive. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Hi, AppForge has a Standard version for $149.00 right now for limited time.

I tend to use the Palms and Symbols as information gathering tool rather than creating huge application in them. So the programs just prompt for data and do other simple functions. Since they dock to the PC where you can upload its data why re-invent the wheel. Once the data is in the PC then it can be used in a myriad of ways. Or in the case of the Palm VII you can upload data to a WEB site, if you can program .ASP or something like that.
Feel free to look at My WEB site then click on Palm logo on the Left side.
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

DougP , actually that standard is only 149$ if you have prove of owning one of the previous Palm Development tools on their list of tools (this is for a Competitive price program)

not if you never owned a Palm Development platform Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

>Since they dock to the PC where you can upload its data why re-invent the wheel.

Cause you can sell your new wheel to people who don't realize that the palm is mostly a personal organizer and not a new computer. :)

Hi,

there is another IDE, much easier to handle than CodeWarrior. I am just getting my first experiences with Falch.net. It's about $220. It adds an Emulator and GNU compiler. It's easy to use, but you have to know C. You can add forms like in Delphi/VB. Falch.net has a trial for download, so try
If You're into adding small applications to Your palm in simple Basic, try CASL. That's an interpreter language, so you need some kBytes runtime on your palm. But it's very, very easy to add some little apps to your palm. CASL I got for free on a book CD, so you probably will find it for free in the web.

God bless.
Siegfried.

FWIW, I went through all the same kinds of things you guys did, looking for a compiler. I finally ended up going with HB++, and boy am I ever glad I did. It is simply great stuff!

___Birm

There are two others that I did not see mentioned.

OrbForms (C like syntax)

NSBasic (VB like)
I ended up purchasing NSBasic and its worked out okay. I was able to apply my knowledge of VB and have an app running within days. It has a built in Palm Emulator and can also use an external Emulator.

Gary
gwinn7
A+,L+,I+,N+

Actually, you may consider using the free tools PalmOne provides - they are as extensive as CodeWarrior (which is about as extensive as it gets). You get them from here:

Also, I have put up some links to development tools and book reviews at my homepage:

haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back