Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm Desktop / Palm Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2002
US
Heya all,

Here's a good question...

Has anyone found a way to install the Palm software / drivers via a power user account in W2K?

I know you can make the user an admin and install then make them a power user again, but this is not really a viable option for us.

All of our machines are W2K running on various equipment with FAT32 drives. CJ
Don't listen to me, I wanted to be a forest ranger.

I have the exact same problem. And I tried to give the administrator rights to the user. This is not sufficient to be able to install. The only way seems to BE the administrator and install but it is not possible and too risked for us. If anybody has a solution....?

Could you guys do the "Run As" for the setup? I haven't tried that here where we work.

But I am not sure if you are trying to do this remotely or local.

If I install the Palm desktop as an administrator I am not able to run it as a standard user. Did I understand what your suggestion..?

I believe what mlevine is trying to say is while logged in as the standard user, and using Windows Explorer, right click on the Palm Pilot setup.exe file and select the 'run as' option. You can then run the setup as administrator, and not have to give your standard users administrative rights.

I was not aware of this way of using run as. Excuse me this seems effectively basic. I am going to my W2K station for testing it. Thanks

sorry this option "run as" is not available on my win2K system. At home it is available on my XP pro system. Is there a way to activate it on win2k?

I found: shift and click right on the explorer file activates the "run as". So I installed the Palm package . But the USB driver nust be installed under the administrator ID and it is necessary to run under this userid for the synchronisation process. pfpfpfpf! I think the last desktop package from Palm solves the problem but it is an english version up to now .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back