Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palladium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kspade

MIS
May 26, 2001
US
Curious to know what everyone's take of M$ Palladium is and how you thik it will affect digital life, and Compouter use. I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

My response - Since you enjoy every minute of insanity - you should similarly enjoy Palladium Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Before or after Palladium SP5?

Microsoft, Intel, the RIAA and the MPAA and others would like for us to believe that implementation of the Palladium initiative is in our best interests. But when has any of them ever had the user's best interests in mind?

When Microsoft was selling the same swiss-cheese-security version of NT 4.0 on the last CDs it shipped as it did on the first CDs they shipped? And then did the same thing with W2K?

When Intel sold the world Pentium processors that couldn't correctly tell you that 2+2 = 4?

When Sony distributed 11 million audio CDs in Europe, the copy protection on which will lock up Mac OS? (Well, that one is less of a deal -- you can bypass the protection with a felt-tipped marker.)

When Microsoft screwed with Win32 in XP so badly that a lot of third-party software wouldn't work on it?

When Microsoft instituted their latest licensing scheme?

Don't believe the marketing hype, boys and girls. Palladium exists to protect their interests, not yours. Microsoft doesn't like pirates undercutting their software prices. Palladium is there to put a stop to that. The RIAA doesn't like people ripping CDs, even for their own use. Palladium can put a stop to ripping, too.

And the so-called "fritz" chip ( the core of the system, is just asking to be abused. One good distributed denial of service attack can take down the functionality not only of the server that is the target of the attack, but of all the applications that require security tokens from that server, too.

And God help us when the virus writers figure out how to hack "fritz". ______________________________________________________________________
Never forget that we are
made of the stuff of stars

It looks like most of the "upsides" are all downsides for anyone but those who develop the technology, or produdts that make use of it.

And CajunCenturion, i do admit to be insane, but in my opinion Palladium goes beyond insanity. I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Anyone out here know anything about M$ hidden push for TCP/MS Protocol?

MasterRacker, I think Microsoft has managed to find another accident waiting to happen. These guys can't get the regular stack working right when they can get source code from 100 places on the internet to port, but they think they can make their own proprietary IP stack work? I'm wondering if it's IPv6 compatible....

Maybe we should take a collection and buy Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer each a copy of Bruce Scheier's Secrets and Lies. The makes a great case against proprietary basic technologies. ______________________________________________________________________
Never forget that we are
made of the stuff of stars

From my understanding they are purposely making the TCP/IP stack weak (and say it is inheritly so) so that they can push TCP/MS and have the Microsoft Internet Protocol. BTW it does support IPv6 addressing scheme from what I heard. This gets me to pondering would it be M$v6? Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back