Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckey22

Instructor
Nov 18, 2003
US
I have read the paging post and still have questions. We are a school and have a Legend system. We are changing our PA system and want to connect it to the legend.

1. What do I need to do to connect to a bogen paging system?

2. Can I lock out phones so students cannot page? Or any ideas?

3. Where can I get more information on how to program the system, I was given the job of managing and we have very little documentation.

Thanks

There are generally two ways to connect a paging system, the most common is via a trunk interface, the less common is via an analog port. You'll have to check witht he paging information, but usually a UPAM or universal paging acces module is connected between the Legend and the Paging system. So far as security, and students, well, they are students, and will find a way, but you can keep the code secret, or have it available only on certain phones.

Pepperz at newper dot net

Thanks, next question then is:

1. Using the UPAM, what port would I use? Can I use any available port or do I need the PagePal?

2. As a NOVICE who feels stupid on this, may I ask what is the trunk interface?

For security, maybe only key people will get access # and a few others will get programmed button.

Paging is usually connected to a LINE PORT.

A TRUNK INTERFACE allows you to connect to a LINE PORT.

We use the terms TRUNK & LINE interchangably.

The UPAM is a TRUNK INTERFACE.

In System Program, AUX EQUIP, you can tell the system what LINE PORT is the PAGING PORT.

By default, the line ports, 1, 2 3 ect. are numbered 810, 802, 803, ect.

While we are on the subject of paging interface to a Merlin:

What if you have multiple paging zones (i.e., First Floor, Second Floor, etc) and want to page to them indivisually. Do you need dedicated Line Ports assigned to each paging amplifier?

Well, yes and no.

Depending on the paging unit, you can have MULTI ZONES or if you don't have that, you can set up 3 paging ports (LINE PORTS) on the LEGEND/MAGIX to do that for you.

But that gets into the question of, IF I AM TRYING TO PAGE JOE, AND I DO NOT KNOW WHAT FLOOR HE IS ON, WHAT ZONE DO I CALL?

Of course, with the latest Magix, you can tie LOUDSPEAKER PAGING PROTS to GROUP PAGING (internal) ZONES.

How about a zone page adapter? It connects to ONE line port. When you access paging, you receive a "dial tone" from the zone adapter, you dial the zone, and then make your page. Depending on the unit, although you have several "physical" zones, you can create nunbered zones that contain one or more or all of the physical zones, so you can still do an all call as well as a single floor, or even 1st and 2nd floor, 1st and 3rd, etc.

If you are a school, then what you refer to as a PA system may be a school intercom system (allows you to call to any specific classroom or group of rooms). If this is the case, the system may have the equivenant of an analog station port that could be connected to a Legend trunk port and accessed from any phone via a direct line appearance (line button) or via a dial access code. Press the line key or dial the code on legend and you'd then get dialtone from the intercom system, allowing you access to its dialplan. Check with your PA system vendor...

Regards
Mike

Thanks all. We are a school but we are replacing our PA system with one that only does all page (single zone). We do not have the money for a zone paging system for 40 zones. We have Phones in all but 8 rooms so we will add phones to those rooms that need them and disable outcalling.

If I am reading things correct I will connect the AMP to a line (trunk) on the Phone system and dial that # to page. I need to talk to my vendor to see if I need the UPAM or not. He knows sound, but not our Merlin system. We will have our "phone Guy" come in for that.

I am mainly looking for info so I can help coordinate it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back