Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging system

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd1019

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2002
US
Anyone ever try to use a headset amp to drive an overhead paging system?

I have a bogen amp in an office with an f9600 remote shelf. The remote shelf has 3 digital line cards and one slt card.

No room for a CO trunk card.

I have done this before but for some reason I cant get this to work. I suspect the headset amp isnt putting out the 600 OHM's. It is a plantronics M12 on a digital phone set to autoanswer.

hello Tod,

i have done simular things with the M10 / M12 base unit , , , lets eliminate a few troubling items, ,

is the unit battery powered or do you have the power supply to go with the unit, , , batteries don't last very long and observe polarity on the batteries.

there are many varibles to this, the slide switch on the side of the unit, could be the input tap of the bogen amp, what i would do is take the M12 unit and get it to work on another phone with the headset, then move it over to the other phone which is setup for auto answer. . .

once you get it to work as a proven good base unit, if you still have issues ping me back and i'll do what i can to assist you, , , ,

the output side, tip and ring is about 600 ohms / 900 ohms, either way you should hear something from the amp, if you have turn the volume up 3/4 of thway to hear something, you are dealing with an impedence mis-match and you will need to get an impedence matching transformer. . . . but this is later in the trouble shooting process. . . as i read your post it indicates your getting nothing, so get the base unit to work first on your telephone set, then move it over . . . . i have a feeling the slide switch on the side of the unit is not set correctly or the output volume rotary switch is set to low. . .

b9dvator

I tried the slider on the side on every setting and it still did not work ( I think there are 6). I had asked that the headset amp be ordered with the power supply but the power supply hasnt arrived yet so I was trying to get it going with batteries until the power supply arrives. I had it in my mind that might be some of the issue with the batteries not being able to generate enough power.

Oh and I did get the base unit working with a headset, I did that right off to make sure the base was at least working.

hello Todd1019,

if you were able to get the headset to work prior, the next test i would do is, take the physical handset associated with that auto-answer telephone and plug it into the base unit of the M12 on the backside of the unit and test for audio there as well, (the jack is used for training) why you ask, well if you using a proprietary handset, usually the transmitt and receive leads are flipped in the handset, thus they don't work on any other phone (aside from the physical differences) so if you plug in the handset and it doesn't work, there is where your incompatibility my stem from,

did you turn up the out going volume by chance, not real high about 5 ~ 6 should do just fine.

As for power, get the Duracell batteries, they seem to last the longest and provide the needed power for continuous audio, the cheap batteries cause intermittant audio or a delayed audio connecion , , what a headache to trouble shoot , , , until you get your power supply.

if all that works, , , , then we need to start looking at your bogen amp. . . .

b9dvator

Well I have decided to punt.

I am ordering a RAD-1A from Viking Electronics. This unit allows you to connect an analog line to it and it will answer a call and bridge it to the amp. This will fit neater into the wiring closet also.

hello Todd1019,

sorry to hear it costed you additional coinage, but glad to hear you found a resolution to you issue

take care

b9dvator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back