Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefred

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
US
I did not know where to ask this---I have a customer that wants to give his employees pagers instead of phones.

some resturants have pagers they give to customers who are waiting and when a table is ready--they send a signal to the pager---

the question is anyone know of a company that sells these types of solutions?

Thanks

Well for starters, two questions. What is the range you want the pagers to work for the employees? Small office, floor, building, regional, global?

Second, do you require two way communication? Alpha? or just a buzzer a la "Your table is ready

roughly about less than 200 feet through normal sheetrock walls. The idea is to get ahold of the employees from the front area of the company --but not to have telephones for them. I dont believe it needs to be two way. I was told it is just for notification only

Try calling a local resturant tht uses them and ask where they get replcaement parts.

why not just put in some paging horns and put a few icm only or incoming call only phones around the warehouse ?

The workers wear music headphones as they are sewing and doing their own little thing--but when they need tailors up front, they just want a solution that would be direct and quick. The owner does not want a PBX/key system or a lot of equipment to maintain such as loudspeaker or telephone paging--just a quick means of getting one-two or all of the tailors up front.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I tried the AT&T 864's that had individual and ALL paging, but he veto'd that.

Here is a cheap local paging system:

Portable Paging System (Black)
$99.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 17-6023 Model: 17-6023

Extra Pager for Portable Paging System
$49.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 17-6024 Model: 17-6024

If you have a local RatShack then most times they will accept returns if it does not work to your satisfaction. Just be sure to repackage everything...

Put a Christmas tree in the middle of the workspace. Run a long extension cord up front. When they need help up front, they can plug in the tree. The extension cord can be picked up for $15 and I've seen the trees at Kmart for $25e.

-CL

Terrific idea--and different color lights for the different people--hey, how many colors of christmas lights do they make? [ponder]

Sometimes you just have to work with what you have. I was sent to bid a fire alarm system in a youth camp that was remodeling their facility. I was to evaluate their current fire alarm system and see what we needed to propose for the remodel. I drove 10 miles out in the sticks to the place, found someone in charge and asked to see the fire alarm system. They showed me a 50' piece of rope going to a large bell on top of the building.

My bid was for 40 more feet of rope to reach the remodel, pretty easy :)

good luck!

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron at wilson dot org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back