Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging over VoIP Trunks on BCM 50 & 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxnkey

Programmer
Aug 15, 2006
US
I have a setup with 2 BCM 50's and 1 BCM 400 connected via VoIP trunks. Does anyone know a way of doing an internal page bewteen sites? I am thinking DISA. But I have tried several things with no luck. The manual states paging over VoIP is not supported but that does not mean it will not work. It would be nice to get it to work.

Paging will not work across VoIP with BCM, but someone on this forum said they're 3rd party products that can help. If you have DID's available at sites it can work with DISA and an external autodial.

When I was in BCM Bootcamp in Richardson, TX. one of the groups in my class there did paging over VOIP and it worked great. I wish I paid more attention to how they did it as I could have used that feature myself.

Maybe someone here has been able to do this also and will reply.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

you might want to look into Nortel Application Gateway with paging keycodes....not cheap.

If you have a spare trunk in the system "A" hook that to the page port. Then put that line into a pool and build route and remote access package. Then system, "B" will dial destination code to access that pool and they will gain access to that trunk, the trunk will supply the talk battery to be amplified and your done!

That will only work if you have an external paging system.

The one I was taking about used the speakers in the phones.

I'll try sending an Email to all the students that where in my class and see if they remember how it was done.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks All. Deweyhumbolt-I have tried using DISA but I can only get it to work with an analog trunk port programmed to answer with DISA. How do I get a Target line to answer with DISA?

Your correct, now that I read my post, I said DID's. It has to be an Analog Trunk.

Adversity is Opportunity

The easiest way(can't page both sites with one call) is to use an analog paging adapter. This uses an analog station port for interfacing the paging equipment. All you do is dial the DN for the analog set it rings the device and auto answers connecting you to the paging speaker inputs.

Valcom makes one for sure and I think Bogen does also.

If you want to do it the DISA way, just make your analog station and tie it to the analog DISA trunk. Same thing as a loop start trunk.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I do not have any paging equipment at either of the sites. They want to be able to page using the feature codes on the BCM. The only way I can get it to work is to program a line to answer with DISA. I set up a COS password. I dial the number connected to the trunk port. When I hear stutter tone I dial my COS password then I can dial *611. Too many steps I think. I even tried to put it on a speed dial key, but it will only dial the number not the password or the feature code. I could put the whole sequence on 2 keys.
tnphoneman-What do you mean by an analog DISA trunk? I have never heard of this on a BCM.

Every one above has said that it has to be an analog trunk for this to work. You can use an analog station off of the BCM and connect it to the incoming trunk if the customer does not want to purchase a separate line for this. That is all I was saying. You would have to program this trunk for DISA like you have been.

TN is saying you could eleminate the cost of a POTS line. You could also eleminate the 7 or 10 digit dialing. You dial an internal DN at remote site over VoIP, that DN is an ATA or ASM port. It is physically attached to an the Analog Trunk port, you already have programmed and tested.

Adversity is Opportunity

Try this
1) site A make your Auto DN xxxx (any avalible digits in your dial plan) as long as it is a number you can dial from site B.
2) site (A) Build a Remote Package that allows for Remote Page and assign this package to the VOIP lines comming into the system.
3) from site B dial the Auto DN of A then do *61x (what ever zone you want).

follow the same for the other side.

Good luck

Remote Page does not work across VoIP, unless some big change at BCM50 3.0.

Adversity is Opportunity

hawks-I tried that but I just get ring no answer.
tnphoneman-good idea, I will try that. it will shorten the procedure and maybe I can put it all on 1 key as an external autodial. I am actually working on another site that they currently page between sites and they want the same feature on the BCM.

One method we have used for calling remote sites is to put the extensions of the remote site in a Hunt Group and instruct the main site to call the remote site Hunt Group DN. If it's set up for Broadcast it will ring all the phones in the Hunt Group.

We've been able to redirect the overflow (unanswered calls) from the Hunt Group back to the main site's receptionist using an ip phone license.

It's not paging....but has the desired effect.

ttscanada-Some customers are very particular. They want the voice announce over the sets speakers. Good Idea though, I might use that in the future.

Try to connect an ATA to a Trunk Port then add it to a separate Line Pool, and then allow Remote access to this Pool. From the remote site dial the Destination code to access that Pool followed by *610,*62 or *630.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back