Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging in a high school gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

colotelco

Technical User
Oct 8, 2004
US
Any recommendations on paging in a gym without all the echo and reverb. We have a 70 volt speaker right now and it just sucks... can't really understand what is being said.
The rest of the school is fine in hallways etc...

The best course of action would be to hire an engineer who has the equipment and training to run tests and determine the optimal locations for speakers.

Needless to say that the abundance of hard/reflective surfaces in a gym makes it almost a given that a professional needs to be involved with the placement and installation of the speakers.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Look up Valcom on the net and they can supply you with the tools to get the job done right. I have used them many times for jobs just like that. They have a tool that is made for speaker placmint that you can buy.(really Cheap Price)

Thanks Dex and Reed... not much time for an engineer at this time. If I can put something together and win the bid, I will will definately get a sound engineer involved....

With my limited experience, I would try to aim at the windows, door or stage and hope they would absorb some of the echo.
I think Bogen will design it for free but I'm not sure if you are just looking for one or two speakers. They do have some good info an their web site.

http://www.bogen.com
the way it's done in the really big indoor arenas is to have a suspended cluster of speakers in the middle of the room, pointing outward in all directions. Of course then there are thousands of seats with bodies in them to absorb the sound too....

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back