Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

paging file (server 2000) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcow007

Technical User
Jan 22, 2007
GB
hello

i have tried to increase the paging file on one of my TS but it doesnt seem to want to change it has 4Gb of physical ram i have set the "initial size" to 4095mb and the "maximum size" also to 4095mb

but the "currently allocated" is only set at 20mb and i cant figure out how to increase this value?!

any help would be fantastic!!

mudcow007

This is by design. The pagefile can only be 4GB per partition. If you want a larger pagefile, you will need to split your pagefile amongst multiple partions. Hope this helps.

ahh right so it can only be a maximum of 4gb? the machine at the moment is grinding to a halt, fully paged out (going from the performace logs) have you got any ideas how i can increase "the currently allocated" from to 20mb to somerthing a little more sensible

(also posted here but no replies so far :( )

many thanks for the replies so far!!

mudcow007

Depends on how much memory you have (but anything > 20MB is a good start :)). Start off by setting the pagefile size to 1.5x the amount of RAM you currently have (set both initial/max values to this amount). If you have more than 4GB of RAM, start off by setting it 2GB (2048) and monitor it. If you receive errors regarding the amount virtual memory .. increase to the max 4GB
If you are still having issues, take a look at the task manager to find out which process is "eating up" your memory (ie using up all your memory) which will indicate a possible application prob.
Hope this helps

thanks itsp1965

when i change the initial/max values the "currently allocated" doesnt budge from 2gb upto 4gb restarting everytime surely 20mb on a terminal server aint healthy?!

actual physical ram use isnt that high roughly around half available

Question for you... do you have enough space to create the pagefile in your current partition. This could be part of your prob.

yep well the machine setup only has one partition (not my doing!) and currently has 429gb of free space

doh'!

im well an truly stumped the machine has been up an down more times than a yo yo today!

thanks for your help tho!!

Run Performance Monitor for a little while and then look at the results. The Page/Sec should be less than 5. If it is over, you have an issue. If it is under, then your machine is fine. Since you are only using half of your physical memory avaialable, I don't think that it is a paging issue. It may be using all it needs.

Guys i cant thank you enough

i have reset the page file to a lower value of 2046 and all seems to be much happier

thanks once again!!

mudcow007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back