Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging a remote BCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBeach

Programmer
Jun 10, 2005
CA
Hi all,

I need to have the capability of paging remote BCM's. I was wondering if anyone has done this before? I have 3 seperate plants, each with their own BCM and all our connected on our WAN. We are looking at having a centralized reception so our receptionist in our main plant needs to have a button setup so she can page either of the two other cities, somehow going over the wan to the bcm and then paging.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated

Note: Main BCM is 3.6, the other two are 3.7

The only options I can think of is:

An IP phone at each site in a seperate page zone. Then page to each zone.

The other is an analogue device connected to a paging system that answers with a speech path and then you page over the PA system.

Marshall

First off, thanks for taking the time to reply! :D

An ip phone at each site... that would only be paging the one IP phone right? Or am i missing out on the bigger concept?

I need to fully page each plant, speakers and phones. I've tried using routing ie. Dial 7 (which i setup to route to one of the other plants) then dial feature 60 to try and page, but it does it locally. I tried putting it all programmed to a button, but as far as I can see you can only assign feature codes to buttons, no combinations.

I have done this but I had to take a way the ability to page over the phones and used an external paging system. I purchased a Bogen TAM B. It interfaces in between an analog phone port and the paging system. Once that is installed on an analog port anybody in your dialing plan can dial it, it auto answers and allows you to page to that facility.

I just posted the same question a few days ago and biv343 made the sugestion of installing a 2050 softphone on an old pc and using the speaker output of the pc to the amplifiers input. This is what I plan on doin.

I have used the analogue option in the past simply because it is less hassle to maintain. The PC option is a very clever idea as long as the PC is will out of the way.

Marshall

where do you get the analog port at the distant end?? All that exist is ip phones.

ok I see where the analog port is seperate.BCM at all sites, duh. I was thinking vpn.

I havnt worked on BCMs very much. But on the other N* you can have a trunk come in and answer it with DISA and in COS you can set it up to allow paging over sets and probably external speakers.

Thank you for the ideas all,

Bob3470, Sorry, but I'm not sure what DISA or COS is, could you explain a bit more?

Spivvy122, The analog idea would be good, except we only have speakers in the plant area, our offices are dependant on the phones to page in some areas. I wish it would work, would make things really simple lol.

And just out of pure curiousity, what do you guys do for a living?

DISA is where a call is auto answered on a trunk and and a password is used to give access to dial any local or have access to the external or interal paging in the system. COS is the class of service. This wouldnt be a one button process for the operator.. Another option is to have an ATA on a digital port and make the output of the ATA a trunk on the BCM. By having an access code for this trunk you could remotly dial in and access the paging systems in the BCM. One more I have seen used is to have a external paging system input tied to a separate trunk. When the access is dialed for that trunk you would be rite on paging. I have seen these work on regular N* they would probably work on a BCM also.

I use the IP Softphone and 1 IP Client at each of my 60 BCM sites, it pages though the sets.

Hi Bob

I understand what you are saying and this would work for systems that are networked with anything other than IP trunks. The reason I say this is under the VOIP trunk there are no options to set the line as auto answer and then enable DISA that I can see.

Marshall

I'm in scottsdale, AZ. and I can page though the sets at all 60 of my locations across the country by using a i2050 softphone on my laptop or desktop PC.

acewarlock:

That was my first thought, softphone, but this is for reception so I need to page any bcm with the press of one or two buttons, and it needs to be rather simple.

If it were for me I would just use the soft phone and connect to the bcm and do a page. I just wish there was software to connect to all the bcms and let you hit a defined button to page that bcm.

In BCM class we had 6 BCM's setup and we were able to page to any BCM from any phone, but I can't remember how we did it as that was 2 yers ago, but it is possable.

Well thank you, you've given me some hope!

I haven't found much from anyone, nortel, my reseller, bcm helpdesk (BELL's).. I'll keep trying though!

We where using CDP and we just dialed a number and it put us on the paging system. I didn't think I would use it so I didn't pay close attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back