Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pages for a vertical fold-out invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudboy

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
US
i am laying out an invitation that has several panels in order, one over the other, vertically. it is to be roll-up folded, after printing, so it unfolds a panel at a time. there will be printing and full bleeds on both sides with a background pattern behind everything. the unfolded piece will be a tall, narrow rectangle. do i consider each panel a page and lay it out that way or lay it out as a tall rectangle with guides where the folds will be? i appreciate any suggestions.

thanks,

mudboy

If your printer uses imposition software then you can set each panel as a page. If not, you need to set up a 2 page document (one for each side) and divide the long page into panels with guide lines.

This is really a question to ask your printer.

Our printshop has always taken that style of brochure and used guides to show where the guides will be. This way has always worked out nicely for us.
But just like the other response, it is best to talk to your printer to see what they recommend. There could be paper size questions that they need to know about, especially if there are bleeds involved, and if it is going to be full color with color bars and registration marks.

It would be best to consider each side of the sheet a separate page within InDesign. With a roll fold progressively make the panels a millimetre or two smaller to allow the leaflet to fold comfortably. When I do this kind of job I usually make up a template and include in it crop/trim marks within the page layout. ie make the InDesign page 10mm larger on all four sides and use this area to construct your own trim and fold marks. Then build your guides up to them.
Trying to impose separate panels afterwards from separate pages is impossible unless you have access to separate imposition software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back