Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PageMaker 6.5 is adding a blank page when printing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeluise

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
US
I would like to know how to stop PageMaker from printing an extra page. It doesn't add a physical page to my file, but it prints a blank page. It happens when I print to any printer (HP 4500N, IBM 3600 laser, or if I print to a file (PDF). I'm on Windows NT. If anyone has had this problem or knows of a fix, please help.

Hello,
Try rebuilding your preferencs, go to the RSRC folder inside of Pagemaker. Open the RSRC folder, then the USenglsh folder, then look for the following.
pm65.cnf
pm65ppd.cnf
pm65filt.cnf
pstyles.cnf
Make sure that Pagemaker is closed when you delete these preferences. When you reopen Pagemaker they will be rebuilt.
And other thing to try is to reinstall the drivers and/or ppds.
Good luck.

Does it happen with every file? Check your page setup. If the page is a hair too long, it will print the extra page even if there isn't anyhthing on it. *****************************************
Red, White & Blue: Colors That Never Run!

Kristina McCook
Senior Logistician
CACI - Automated Sciences Group, Inc.

I tried what ikonpro suggested with no success. It created those ".cnf" files again, but the blank page is still being generated during printing. The drivers have also been reinstalled. Thank you for trying.

I found this on the Adobe Forums:

Extra pages: This is a problem that several apps which generate their own PS seem to run into under NT4. They use the system's PS driver as a "pipe" to the printer but send their own PS, not the system's, down the pipe. Unfortunately, NT insists on adding its own two cents worth at the end of the job. It doesn't affect the printout, but makes the printer think that the job isn't over yet, that there's more data to come. So it waits. And eventually times out. And prints a timeout error page.

You may be able to set the jobtimeout to 999 (as I recall, that = infinite ... wait forever, so it never produces a timeout error). You'd have to do this at the printer's control panel or via PS sent to the printer.

You could probably also just set the printer NOT to produce error pages by default.

Red, White & Blue: Colors That Never Run!

Kristina McCook
Senior Logistician
CACI - Automated Sciences Group, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back