Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pagefile.sys won't let me log into W2K Server! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemyst

Programmer
Mar 10, 2003
US
Hi there,

My W2K server boots fine. However, I can no longer log in as administrator.

When I type the username/password, I receive the error message:

"Pagefile.sys either does not exist or is too small. To adjust, right-click on 'my computer', ... "

When I click "ok", it immediately returns me to the login screen, so I can't login to adjust the size of virtual memory!

Can anyone help or know of a way around this?

Thanks!

Safe mode doesn't work either believe it or not. Does the same thing -- kicks me right back out. :(

Any other ideas?

I'd try doing an automatic repair install, unless of course it's a production server...

Darrell Mozingo

Oh, just thought about this after I hit submit... do you have TS setup in remote admin mode by chance? Could you connect to it through that and try changing the page file size? Or perhaps through computer management and connecting to it over the network?

Darrell Mozingo

Thanks for the help guys.

The Server is a stand-alone production machine. The only way I can connect remotely is through the network neighborhood -- I receive a list of shared printers.

No terminal services.

I've already tried deleting the pagefile.sys from the recovery console (since Windows should create a new one on start up). That didn't work either. :(

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Restoring the System account will also assist.

I had the exact same problem in the Thread 'No Pagefile, can't login to create one'

and solved it (after 2 days, people still think you have time for other things when servers are down, and won't take NO for an answer)

javascript:eek:penindex(450,350,'
I think that link is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back