Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pagefile problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

shughesPB

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2005
US
I am having a very odd problem with my pagingfile. For some strange reason the operating system just stopped reading the settings correctly and I have done everything I can think of to fix it.

I have a server with 2 hard drives in and one dedicated to pagefiling alone. I have removed the pagefile from the local C: drive and set it to my secondary drive. It has been running this way for 2 years with no problem, but now every time the server is rebooted the operating system thinks that the server has no pagefile and sets it to an initial size of 20mb on my C: drive. You can go to the control panel> system> advanced> performance options and it shows 20mb but when you click change it is still showing the pagefile settings correctly there and I can reset it by setting it back to zero and then back to my initial settings and it works fine, but as soon as I reboot the server forgets the pagefile is there. You can even do a regedit on look at the pagefile settings there and they are fine but the operating for some strange reason thinks there is no pagefile.

So far what I have done to fix it is formatted my pagefile drive and made sure the permissions where set with system and administrator rights. I have run chkdsk on my server to see if there were any problems there. I defragged the drive and my last attempt to fix the problem I replaced the drive. I have also run adware and scanned the server for any virus. Oh I also removed the permissions and reset them just in case they were going crazy.

Now I can set the pagefile to my C: drive and reboot the server and it works fine, but I don’t want my pagefile on my system drive. I have been running it on a separate drive forever.

This thing is about to drive me out of my mind.

If anyone could shed some light on this please let me know.

try setting a small pagefile on c:, and then a proper sized one on your other drive...
does it still give you the error message if you do this?

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

I tried that by setting the minimum on the C: drive and rebooted the server. When it came back up it only saw the pagefile on the C: drive but did not recognize the rest of the pagefile on the other drive. I even tried to set the pagefile to the second partition of my primary drive and it would not see it there after a reboot either. Whats weird is if you go look at the properties it is still showing my settings but the OS just does not see it or something.

and what are the effective permission entries on the root C: and other drive??
list which accounts and which rights...

i know you mentioned this earlier, but if you post ALL this info, it could help...
dave

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Thanks for the reply. They are set as follows.

The root C: drives permissions are set with Authenticated users read and execute, list folder contents and read. Administrators with full control and System with Full control.

The second drive that I use as the pagefile drive is set with Administrators full control and System full control.

The extended partition that I also tried to use is set with the same permissions as the root drive.

The operating system does not see the pagefile on the extended partition or the second drive after a reboot, but you can physically see it on both of them and the system manger still will have them listed as having the pagefile being there. The registry will also still show the pagefile being on them after a reboot but the OS thinks its not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back