Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page Wonky In Smaller Screen Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

53ford

Programmer
May 24, 1999
CA
I've created a site with my Windows screen set at 1024x768 but when the site is viewed at 800x600, it's all foobar wonky. Any ideas on how I can retain the original image irrespective of the screen settings?

thanks

53ford

Are you using percentages for heights/widths of elements on your page? That should solve most problems, but without specific examples, it's difficult to help much more. For example, a table set up like this
Code:
<table width=&quot;90%&quot;>
<tr><td>Some Text</tr></td>
</table>
will look fine at most resolutions, but if you specify an exact width, like
Code:
<table width=&quot;200&quot;>
<tr><td>Some Text</tr></td>
</table>
this can look vastly different on other resolutions.

Greg.

somewhere between 50 and 60 percent of users are viewing at 800 x 600, you should really test you pages at all common resolutions. You page will either be fixed width or proportial width (%width).

If fixed width it will look exactly the same on any resoutions expect that scroll bars will be required if it does not all fit on one screen.

If percentage width the page will try to compress or exapand to fit, although if there is content that takes up a certain width it can only contract to this limit.

You must also consider alignment, elements may be aligned left, center or right and this will effect the space they have available.

To gurantee that a page looks how you want it to look you have to consider all these elements and test,test,test

</thrud>

Hey greg, hey thrud...thanks for the info. I'm now in the process of resetting things. Seems the percentage thing is the way to go if I use tables; so far I have been working with just frames and layers.

Back to the drawing board...

Thanks again.

53ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back