Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

page size problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jilbruke

Technical User
Feb 23, 2002
AU
hi, I'm trying to create a huge banner in pagemaker, about 800mm by 3500mm (3' by 12'), I have access to the equipment that is capable of printing whole pages at this size (obviously!) but its not hooked up to my computer. The poster I'm updating is in publisher format, but thats not the problem, I can't wait to destroy any reference to publisher and completely rebuild the file from scratch. The problem is that the crappy Publisher can use any page size you want to give it, but PageMaker can only go up to roughly 1m square (3' by 3'). I can't see a way around this limitation so if anyone can anyone help either solve the problem, or suggest software more suites what I am trying to do I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jilbruke

what kind of file/software/format/platform does the printer accept?

Hey, yeah the printer the company will be accepting a PDF file so no extra procesing should be required. but the limit in pagemaker seems completely fixed at 1066 x 1066 mm with nothing to specify metres or any other metric unit (please be kind and not suggest imperial! ). The computers they will use are all windows if your looking for platform, and I am also using windows, although I can't tell how this could help you other than by having some knowledge of a distiller function that can upsize publications like this one.
thanks
Jilbruke

I've recently been doing the same thing (producing large banners) and have got around the size limitations by using a proportionate size in PM -- in your case that might be say 80mm by 350mm -- and then distilling with high resolution (1500 dpi). The output for text and line drawings (well defined edges) has been fine. I've had some pixelation on tiff images, but they weren't that great to begin with ... and they look okay from a distance.

Another option would be to design the banner at 50% of actual size and then have the printer print at 200%. The banner quality should be excellent if you are using only text or text and vector graphics... if you are using TIFFs then end results will vary depending on the quality of the tiff image to start with. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

does distiler have the option of "blowing up" the intended physical size of the acrobat file? or is blowing up to 400% (say) required done in the printing stage? (no printer I have ever seen gives the option of a direct blowup of a document)

You would specify the final print size in print options before distilling. If this is going to a printing house, cal them. They will tell you what your options are, extra charges for set up, etc. also they can tell you what sort of printer they are using so you can load the drivers and use those parameters when printing to PDF. You should use their printer divers to do a PDF to prevent reflow of text. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back