Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page server?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreako

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
NO
Hi!

I have problems with the reporting on web.
I have a managed report in CE8. I use an URL with info to view this report on the web. All this is ok. the report gets displayed the way it is supposed to, that is the first page is. When i try to go to page 2 og the report I get this error:

Error encountered by Crystal PageServer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The error message returned is:

Crystal Reports: Print Engine Error [On Page Server: server.pageserver]

In the log for the pageserver it says:

Timestamp (Process ID, Thread ID), (Event Type, Category, Event ID), Information:
9:34:26 (908, 4824), (1, 1, 33009), Info: assert failure (Y:\backend\jobserver\dlls\procreport\src\reportdllerrors.cpp699). (0 : PrintEngineErrorCode: 997).
Call Stack Dump: Not available

Does anyone have a clue to what this can be or mean?!

Thanks in advance!

andreako

I've been told by crystal decision's support folks that this part 'Info: assert failure (Y:\backend\jobserver\dlls\procreport\src\reportdllerrors.cpp699).' is the path their developers use for debugging and should be ignored. Typically print engine errors have something to do with failure to retrieve the data. When I see them, I run the stored procedure outside of crystal and find the problem. Maybe the stored proc was changed or just invalidated.
What is your data source?

Hi!

I use an Oracle Database 9.0.1.1.1, and I connect to the database with an ODBC connection.
The funny thing is that when I show my report on the web with init=java, then the report works perfectly, but it is when I want to, and I do want to, use init=html_page then the report gives the above mentioned error.

So I don't think the retieving of data is the problem her, since the report runs perfect with init=java.

Any other ideas?!

andreako

do you get the same error when you view the report thru the eportfolio with the DHTML viewer? If not, maybe your URL is wrong?
What browse and what version are you using?

Hi!

Yes I get the same error when I view it in the eportefolio! I have also contacted Crystal Tech support on this, and they suggested to install two patches. Those patches is installed but didn't help. they updated pageserver.exe, and one exe more, and they updated crpe32.dll.

I am out of ideas here. Any suggestions?!

Thanks in advance

andreako

Do all your reports act this way, or just this one? Have you tried a different Oracle driver, like a native driver? Are you using the ODBC driver for a specific reason like to display images or maybe 9i requires a newer OCI?

Is the report you are running simple or complex? Do you have one or more sub-reports in the report? If so, this may relate to the issue. I have seen a similar problem. I am not sure if the error message was exactly te same or not. We resolved the problem with a patch from Crystal.

This has just happend with this one report, but that is because this is the only report I am supposed to show on the web.
I use ODBC because then I don't get the question for the logon to the database. If I use the native Oracle driver I get a question for the logon to the database, and the users are not saupposed to know that logon, so I can't have that. In addition I get a question for logon to the database for each subreport, wich I have 3 of, that means if I use the Native Oracle driver I must type the logon information 4 times for logon to the database. And I seem to recall that I get the same error message even if I use the native driver. (But that I am not 100% sure of, I can test it when I get to work tomorrow)

Suggestions is VERY much appriciated

Thanks in advance!

andreako

I know this isn't related to your problem, but the native driver database logon/password can be set when you publish the report. This way the users don't get prompted. We use this method - it works fine. We use the same db connection for all subreports.

How do I set the logon/password when I use the native driver?! I set it when i publish the report but still I get prompted for it when I want to view the report. Why?
I also use the same db connection for all my subreports.

Also when I use the native driver I get prompted for the logon/password again and again and again......... Why is that? Is there any way to stop that? This means that I never gets to watch the report, only the logon/password to the database!

Any suggestions?!

andreako

Use the Crystal Management Console. Go to the report. Select the database tab. Enter the username and password and click on the Update button. You also give any parameters default values from the parameters tab. Be sure to hit the Update button BEFORE moving to different page or the changes will be lost.
I would have thought you'd only get prompted once per report/subreport. See if this clears up all the prompts.

Those parameters are already set. I have tried that, but I still get prompted for the logon/password. I can't understand it because I don't get prompted when I use ODBC, but get prompted if I use the native driver.

In the CMC, the database tab, make sure you don't list the database name, just username and password.

As for the the pageserver error...I would try to schedule the report. That uses the jobserver. Would be interesting to know if you get an error there too. If not, try to delete the pageserver and create a new one.
Did you ever simply reboot the machine to flush out the cache?

Thanks for the advice!

I tried to remove the database name, and the the prompt for the username/password did not come. I then tried to run the report with the native driver, and that works.

But I am not 100% sure of what solved it. Is it because I use the native driver or is it because i deleted the pageserver, and innstalled a new one. That I am not sure of! Because I was so stupid that I did them both before I tested. But if I am going to innstall this on another webserver, then I at least know things to try to do if I get the same error message.

You see I deleted the pageserver because the report ran with no errors when I scheduled it.

I would like say thank you to everybody who has helped me with this problem, and let us now hope that is solved once and for all.

Again: Thank you all!

andreako

I am having somewhat similiar problems with CE. I installed CE with an Oracle 9i data source. The reports were developed on a machine using SQLnet native Oracle 8 drivers. When I use the test machine as the CE server which has Oracle 8 native drivers to view a report which looks up Oracle 9i data, I have no problem but when I use the production machine with CE that has Oracle 9i native drivers, the viewer gives this error when using the report URL method to viewrpt.cwr

"could not find c:\inetpub\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back