Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

page of text alternating after each page of data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazum

Technical User
Apr 6, 2011
US
I am using CRXI.
I would like to have a page of text (a disclaimer) aleternating after each page of data. In other words, page 1 would have the data, page 2 would have the disclaimer text, page 3 the next page of data, page 4 the disclaimer text again, and so on.
The plan is to print the report duplexed, so the data shows on the front page and the disclaimer text on the back of the page.
The disclaimer is lengthy so it would not work well in the page footer

Would like the report to appear this way:
Group #1 (Supervisor)
Group #2 (Worker)
Group #3 (Case ID)
Group #4 (Person ID)
Details and Group Footers suppressed
page 1
____________________________________________________________________________________
(Disclaimer text) "You are required to attempt........."

page 2
____________________________________________________________________________________

The only way I can think of doing this (it is a long shot). Use a formula to display a page header on every other page (even pages?) and have it force a new page after.

Put the Disclaimer in GF1 and in the Section Properties format it for a New Page Before and a New Page After.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete

Pete
I tried putting the disclaimer in GF1 and selected New Page Before and After, but it on put the disclaimer on the last page of the Supervisor (Group #1) group.

This sounded like an intriguing puzzle so I played with it for a bit. I see no simple or reliable ways to do this if you need the disclaimer on EVERY even page, in the middle of all group levels. The most workable way I found was to create two page headers - the normal one and one that contains the disclaimer. The disclaimer PH is big enough to take up the entire printable page (minus the page footer). You then suppress the normal PH on even pages and the disclaimer PH on odd pages using a formula like this:

Remainder (PageNumber ,2) = 0 // for even pages change to = 1 for odd pages

The problem is that the size of the disclaimer PH has to be just right. It has to be big enough to crowd out anything else from printing because there is no other way to force a page break within a page header. At the same time it but not large enough to touch the page footer which will generate an error. It has to be a page header because there isn't any other section that has the option to appear on any page before anything else prints.

If you get it just right it will work but it looks pretty fragile. Moving the report to another computer or using a different printer could change the page size slightly. That wouldn't affect most reports but it might make this method fail. If the page shrinks PH + PF is too big for the page and you get an error. If the page is bigger now you will get some info on the bottom of the disclaimer page.

I even tried weird ideas like creating a fake PH (using a single value grouping and setting the header to repeat on each page). This section ignored the page breaks and the 'print at bottom of page settings completely so it was no better than a PH.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

You could also use paper that has the disclaimer pre-printed on the back and then print just the front info on the other side.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Ken
I put the disclaimer in the Page Header and used the formula Remainder (PageNumber ,2) = 0 in the Suppress option of the section. It worked well and was getting the disclaimer on every other page. Only one small glitch, the disclaimer showed on the first page, but can live with that.
Thanks for your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back