Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page numbering - every other page

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezzyg

Technical User
May 8, 2006
CA
hi. i have been producing a bi-monthly catalogue in Painmaker for several years. we are finally switching over to InDesign this summer, which has resolved many of my frustrations but there's one thing i haven't yet been able to figure out -- the page numbering.

the catalogue is set up so that the right page is the only page with meaningful content (left pages are filler pictures and ads with only some relationship to the content). i know how to have page numbers only display on the right hand with master pages but i need to figure out a way to make the numbering consecutive from right-hand page to right-hand page -- so absolute page 3 is numbered "2" and ab. pg. 5 is numbered "3" and so on. i did this manually in Pagemaker before and i'm hoping there's some elegant InDesign solution since the catalogue is always over 100 pages long. i feel like it's something that should be intuitive but i haven't been able to figure it out. (i'm still on the steep part of the learning curve)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also think this is not possible.
The real question is WHY would you want to use such an odd numbering? All magazines or books number all the pages, be it advertising or editorial pages.

Using InDesign CS2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.3.9 on a mac G4

It would probably add an extra step to your pre-press process but you could make the facing pages one page. Set up a new document with a custom paper size the width of two pages and use half for the content half for filler. This would automatically number correctly.

Otherwise you could set up a document template and number the pages by hand. You would only have to enter numbers once this way.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back