Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page not listed correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartiums

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
GB
Hi :)

I had a page and I took a copy of it and called it
When I searched on Google for each page it came back with a result pointing directly to - rather than the specific page.

I've deleted off my server - but it still displays a result to when I search for that page.

Can anyone make any sense of this - when will the page be dropped and why doesn't it display the result for
Thanks !

Teeny

when will the page be dropped...
When the search engine next indexes your site.

...why doesn't it display the result for
Because it hasn't been indexed by the search engine you are searching with, most likely.

Maybe you could consider redirecting all requests for that old URL through to the new URL in the interim (301 moved permanently header).

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Hi

BabyJeffy said:
when will the page be dropped...
When the search engine next indexes your site.
I am quite confused about this. I had a site once, and only after approximatelly 2 months of server downtime was removed from listing. But only removed, not forgot, because after 1 week of server uptime the site reappears in result lists, appearantly with it'se old rank.

So now I have no certain opinion regarding the automatic removal.

Feherke.

Thanks Jeff

Can you tell me what I need to do exactly to set up the 301... and do you know how often Google indexes sites?

Kind regards

Teeny

You would probably be best advised to use .htaccess to handle the 301. How to do it? I don't know (I use a different method and have never had a need to set up .htaccess in that way). There are plenty of people here that will be able to help though... and you can probably get a fair idea by googling for it.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Hi

If you have Apache then use the [tt]Redirect[/tt] directive.

The expression Google indexes sites is not exact. Usually only a few pages are requested in one visit, not all the site. The interval between two visits is determined by the spider, based on how dinamically the site changes. For exact answer you must see your webserver's access log.

Feherke.

Hi,

What if I just remove my old page from my server - will that work? Will it have any detrimental affect on my site?

Thanks

Teeny

Hi

Not tried, but for removed documents this should be what you need :
rfc2616 said:
10.4.11 410 Gone

The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no
forwarding address is known. This condition is expected to be
considered permanent.

Feherke.

Hi Feherke

Sorry for being a little novice here - but where do I type this statement...? In the HTML of the page I've removed? What is 10.4.11.410?

Apologies again, but I've not done this before!

Thanks

Teeny

Hi

spartiums said:
What is 10.4.11.410
I am sorry, that was not too helpfull. That was quoted from the RFC2616 ( HTTP/1.1 ) document's section 10.4.11, which title is 410 Gone. 410 being the HTTP response status code, and Gone is it's human readable meaning.

Use it as described in the Apache documentation mentioned above :

The most simple way is to put this in a .htaccess file in the deleted directory :
Code:
Redirect gone /

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back