Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page not found in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufaza

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Hello,
I have windows 2000 Pro with Svc Pk 4. Since last two days I have been having issues with Internet Explorer 6.0 I am not able to open up any websites. It displays Page cannot be found error. I also had Firefox browser, but that too has stopped pulling up sites. I am able to ping to the various sites and a get successful response back. So i know my network card is working fine.

I did run Adware, SPybot and viruses to take care of the issue. Did found was able to remove the regular found spyware. The one in particular was se.dll issue. But was removed thru Ad-ware.

Despite the spyware scan, i also tried reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol. Also run the winsockfix, but its all in vain. can't get to surf.

Pls let me know if there is any particular registery setting that has to be modified? or any other ideas..pls HELP!!

Regards,
MJ

mufaza,
all right that knocks out a new company policy.
how is your home set up?
modem -> cpu
modem -> router -> cpu?
high speed or dial up?
regards,
longhair

LongHair,
I have dsl with netgear router.
Able to ping the windows 2000 (problem)machine. Able to ping outside from the machine to yahoo or any other domain.

Regards,
Mj

mufaza,
any power surges recently?
do an ipconfig /all and make sure you have all the correct entries.
if i remember the correct order -
another thing to try - with pc off unplug the power from the modem, reboot the router. when it's back up reboot pc. when that is back up and you have an ip from your router restart the dsl modem.
it sounds like it may be an issue with your connection to your isp.
regards,
longhair

longhair,
well there were no power prblms, there are two other comps apart from this w2k pc. one is a XP pro and the second one is w2k also. These two are working fine.

the router, dsl modem (bellsouth) all are working fine.
as far as ipconfig /all entries it comes up in the right scheme of ip when set to DHCP or when static ip is added.
able to go into the router admin panel thru 192.168.1.1

rgrds,
mj

mufaza,
if 2 other cpu's ok going through the router and this one is not then some quick guesses are - router not allowing this cpu out to web, something on cpu not letting it out (check your hosts file) - if still set to dhcp try 'ipconfi /release' then 'ipconfig /renew'
are you sure all cpu's show same subnet?
regards,
longhair

longhair,
well if the router wouldnt allow the cputo go out, then i suppose the ping shouldn't also not respond.
In anycase i have even changed the ip address, but it fails, as far as hosts file in the cpu, from where do i open it from(need the location)?

subnets, yes they are on the same subnet. for some reason i suspect the spyware issue, coz when i click the IE button it shows on the left bottom corner, waiting for reply and then in a blink it changes the screen to page cannot be displayed. so i feel that it does try to go out, get connected but something from the cpu is blocking.

regrds,
mj

mufaza,
standard location:
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
try using ms anti spyware a quick search of their site should give you a link.
regards,
longhair

longhair,

Thankyou for guiding me step by step, would appreciate if we could continue later again sometime in resolving this issue, as i have to step out for few hours.

regards,
mj

hi longhair,
got the se.dll removed via the last link (bleepingcomputer). Though other links were helpful too.

unfortunately the IE isn't able to open any site yet. would like your help in working out all the diffrnt possiblties one by one.

regards,
mj

Mufaza
you may have got hit by a virus, I had fixed the same problem a few weeks ago on a customers PC and found that the problem was here
C:winnt\system32\drivers\ect\hosts

every web site he used was changed to the same dummy IP address
deleteing everythig was the cure, then he was able to surf again.

make a copy of what was listed just in case.

tuco7,
ok there might be possibilty of virus, but to clear my doubt, when you say " deleting everythig was the cure " is that implied for wiping out the hard disk and reinstalling everything? or just that particular folder?

I understand my last step would be to format the hd and reinstall the os and programs, but would like to make sure if there is any utility or modification that can be done without going thru wiping part.

regards,
mj

Hello,
Found a spyware Trojanov in file dcom_9.dll. is it ok to delete the file as the spyware programs nor Panda activescan weren't able to disinfect it!!

mufaza
Just whats is listed in the "HOSTS" file

mufaza

This is what it would look like

127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
If any of the websites you goto are listed with the same ip address just "delete" them, If there are some that you dont want to goto leave them, but what ever is listed and they all have the same IP address you cant go to them

Ok, getting back to normal life after Wilma!!!

Anyways just want to inform you all, the IE issue due to spyware have been resolved, rigorously ran all the above mentioned utlities / points.

Would like to thank each one of you for the valuable posts and time !!

Regrds,
MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back