Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

page just hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
I don't really know asp. I have a Visual Studio project that I know how to make simple changes to such as changing what fields to pull from the database.

I made some changes, it stopped working, I fixed it, went back in to look at some things, as I normally do, but this time I didn't change anything, and now it doesn't work.

The web page just hangs. I had our network guy check the server and it's fine. The person who wrote it is long gone, as I have been able to maintain it, but usually I get some kind of error, and now...nothing.

Any ideas how I can find out what is wrong with it?

without the error it would be difficult for us to suggest you in the right direction...please give more information...

-DNG

There is no error. The default page is a list of links to other pages that ask for database criteria.

I don't even get "page cannot be displayed" or anything, it just gives me a blank screen and it is thinking, slowly.

If I were to set up a new default page, how would I do that? Maybe I can compare that to this one and copy the code to the links?

I even put breaks in to debug but it doesn't break.

Maybe have the code on your page goes into an unending loop. It would be good if you can post the code.

~Satish

Ok well, I'm not sure this will tell you anything:

<ul><ul>
<b>Intranet Reports Page<b><p>
<ul>
<br>Reports<br><br>
<ul>
<a href="repProd1.asp">Production Report</a><br>
<!-- <a href=repLoss.asp>Loss Report</a><br> -->
<a href="repMarket1.asp">Marketing Report</a><br>
</ul>
</ul></ul>

This is the code for default.asp and that is also the startup page.

Now I get this error.
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

blah blah blah

The IT guy restarted the IIS server, and then the default page came up, but nothing else works, and then after that we try again and the default page doesn't work again.

I guess maybe it is server related after all.

Also, make sure that you turn off "friendly" errors in IE to make sure you actually see the error messages that IIS returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back