Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page Cannot Be Displayed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick133

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
CA
Whenever starting internet exploer the error page cannot be displayed appears. AT first i figured it had something to do with my connection to the internet but it turned out to be fine because trillian and kazaa work pefectly. Also at the same time i have norton antivirus and internet firewall on my computer and after start up they would usually appear in the taskbar but now show up for a couple of seconds and then disappear, i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling nortona antivirus but the same thing happens everytime. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are your access rights set to adminstrator or as limited? Try changing to administrator and see if that works.

i'm already the administrator of my computer

Did you try accessing the net after you uninstalled Norton? Norton has been known to cause Page Not Found when certain settings are enabled. Try typing 64.58.76.224 in your browser address (instead of and see if that works. If so it's a DNS issue.

-Volkoff007

Try disabling Norton Internet Security and trying the sites again.

Norton Anti-virus is less likely a cause of IE errors for pages. Norton IS is well known to do so if not properly setup.

Need more of a description:

- version of IE?
- how long this has been happening?
- if you enter a new address after IE opens, does it give the same error?
- try an IP address like Volkoff007 mentions to see if it's a DNS issue (or run a ping/traceroute)
- go to "tools -> internet options -> connections" and check your setup

As bcastner said, Norton Antivirus has nothing to do with web browsing and wouldn't interfere. It only monitors downloads and other activities on your PC. A firewall like Norton Internet Security, on the other hand, could possibly interfere.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

From what I read there seems to be a lot of virus infection problems via downloads from Kazaa at the moment. These infections can disable security type programs and other programs too.

It might be a good idea to do one of the free online virus checks just to eliminate that possibility.

You can get an online scan for viruses, trojans and variants at:

1. Symantec (Norton Anti-virus) Security Check - Free on-line scan.
Click the 'Run Virus Check' or 'Run Security Check' button.
or -
Click 'Find out today if you are safe'. Then click 'Scan for Viruses'.

2. Trend Micro (PC-cillin) - Free on-line Scan - very good at detecting 'joke' viruses.
A small Download Required.

3. Panda's Active Scan

Well i have internet explorer 5.5 running and this has only been happeening for a couple of days. I have been running norton products for a long time and no error has occured so i do not believe it has anything to do with my firewall.
My guess is that i ran somethng from kazaa that did this to my computer but have not been able to figure out anything to do about it .

Linney,

I am getting that strong sense too that the new variant of W32 has had Kazaa hard. There was a Norton Advisory mid-last week on the issue. The newer virus, the Kazaa types call it Finney (any relation?) attacks several known Windows programs, IE, OE, and does a good job of removing entries from msconfig-type startup lists. It has an email-worm component to as well.

I have never seen so many people having their desktops disappear and/or become disfunctional in a single week as this past week.

slick133,
OK, you've answered a few of the questions. However, there are plenty of suggestions mentioned above for you to try. Post back to let us know how they turned out.

Definitely make sure you:

1) Disable your firewall temporarily, just as a test and see if IE starts working.

2) Disable everything except critical processes, IE, and your internet connection - run a test.

3) Let us know if all websites are affected, or if it's just some.

4) Try a ping and traceroute from a command prompt.

5) Check your settings under Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections

If there's anything you're unsure about, don't hesitate to ask...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Bcastner and Slick133

"Redisto" is a worm that blocks certain applications, mainly
firewalls and antiviruses, by terminating active processes associated to them. It also saves confidential information from the computer to two files which it sends out by e-mail.

Redisto spreads rapidly via e-mail and the KaZaA peer-to-peer file sharing program.

For further information about these and other viruses, visit Panda Software's Virus Encyclopedia at:

There was another virus tied up with Kazaa that was causing similar problems recently it was called something like KObot or similar but I can't remember where I read about it or furnish further information on it.

Talking about virus infection, this was eye catching.

Well over the last couple of days my internet has partialy come back, i dunno what i've done but i have most website except i can't sart some downloads on the net and i can't chack any of my web-based e-mails address. Also with norton antvirus and firewall they still shutdown at startup right after initializing. I've tried opening the firewall and untinstalling it from my computer but for both instances it says that i'm not the supervisors or i'm not logged in to norton so i can't uninstall or change setting on the firewall, it's all quite weird and has never done this before.

Hi there,

I had the same problem - I am the administrator, I had no viruses, but AFTER installing SP1 for Windows XP I got this annoying message "page cannot be displayed". After hitting "refresh" the page loaded. Also, some downloads were impossible to get...

I spend a lot of time on the net to solve this issue which affected ALL our computers with Windows XP SP1.

Finally, I got rid of the problem by downloading a patch for IE - found on microsoft site:

It's Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Update, published on 4/18/2003
File Name: q305217.exe

hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back