Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page breaks in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris559

Instructor
Dec 29, 2002
GB
I have set the page breaks in a spreadsheet and for some reason I cannot now drag and move them. I have tried resetting which does not solve the problem, but when I tried to remove the breaks that does not work either. I can extend the thick blue lines on the edges but not the internal blue dotted ones.

Hi,

The fitted ones are auto breaks. You must drag them UP, not down.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Thanks Skip, but it is the columnar breaks that are giving me a problem.

Same principle: you can drag a vertical automatic less wide but not more wide.

Skip,
[sub]

You must work methodically: top to bottom; left to right; shortening any auto break (you cannot lengthen an auto break, down or right).

Skip,
[sub]

What is your problem? Automatic (dotted blue lines) or manual (solid blue lines) page breaks are visible in page breaks view. With one click you can remove all manual page breaks in this view - right-click any cell and from the context menu choose this option. The page setup can change scaling of printed page, the distance of page breaks will follow this setting.
If you don't like to see page breaks in normal view, untick page breaks view in window view option, otherwise they become permanently visible after first print, print preview or switching to page breaks view.

combo

I have already tried all of that - the lines just ping back and wont expand to a new position.

When you say "expand" that tells me that you are trying to move an auto break down or to the right.

You cannot make a page bigger than the page margins!

Skip,
[sub]

Maybe a conflict with "fit to pages wide" settings. You can only set manual breaks if you haven't told excel to work it out for you!. You may want to "Fit to x pages wide", Make a note of the percent zoom. Then remove the fit to settings and manually apply the zoom % before fiddling with the column breaks

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back