Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page Arrangement for Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

officeblau

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
DE
Hi!
We want to print a catalog.
The cat is layoutet in DIN A-4.
We have to print on double sided DIN A-3 Sheets.

But how can we automatically arrange the sheets in the correct printing order???

Example:
8 pages DIN A-4: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
printet on DIN A-3 like:

1-8 and 2-7 on one double sides A-3
3-6 and 4-5 on the other double sid. A-3

Do you understand our problem? We hope...

As far as I know, QuarkXPress can't do this by itself. You might be lucky and have such a facility built into your printer driver (go to File > Print..., press the 'Printer' button and see what options you get).

Most prepress companies use either a third party XTension or the imposition facilities built into the RIP. You could also create a PDF from your Quark file and use an Acrobat plug-in, such as Quite Imposing or Pitstop. There are other stand-alone programs that will work on postscript files, but I think your best bet is to go to Quark's website and look for an XTension.

You might be able to pick up a free XTension from some digital printer manufacturers too (check out HP Indigo's XTension called 'Your's Truly Designer' for example). Good luck!

Dear, You need to set all the pages manually. Try dragging the appropriate page at the specified place and you will get the desired output. Moreover you can use Adobe's TrapWise Impositioning software for this specified purpose.

Hope this help.

Regards,
TechLeo

well that would only work for smaller docs but what in the case of large documents say 1000 pages?
EL236

~*The Art of Communication*~

That's where impositioning software comes in. There are too many things that can go wrong when doing it manually, especially if you have linked text boxes, text locked to baseline grid, etc, etc. Here's a small selection of software that's available for the Mac:

I couldn't find any free software, but there are some demo versions available. If you know a commercial printer, they might have software specific to their equipment that they may be able to give you a copy of. I did a training course with Indigo once, and one of the instructors mentioned giving copies of their imposition XTension to customers, so I guess some companies (especially hardware companies) aren't too bothered about charging for it.

What you are asking for requires the use of Imposition software. You can send your files to a repro house who should have this sort of software or, if you are looking to do this yourself, you will have to work out the imposition manually. "For the creative mind there is no right or wrong. Every action is an experiment and every experiment yields its fruit in knowledge" - Hagbard Celine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back