Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PAE Physical Address Extension 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBates

MIS
Feb 27, 2000
US
hi experts,

On 2 Windows 2003 ENTERPRISE SP2 servers, I have added the PAE switch to the boot.ini file to enable PAE.

On the 32 bit server, which has AMD dual-core processors, the system properties show 'Physical Address Extension'.

But on the 64 bit server, which has the Intel Xeon processor, system properties do NOT reflect 'Physical Address Extension'.

Maybe that's just because of the differences between the 32 bit and 64 bit OS. But I would like to be able to confirm that the 64 bit server is actually using PAE.

Thanks, John

i might be being stupid here but why would you af that extension to a 65 bit OS? its can already access anything over 4 gig.....

Allen White MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP
IT Problems? the fix may be here

No problems, you add the PAE to server 2003 etc when they have 4 gig installed. It can only address 3.5 gig without the PAE switch :)

Allen White MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP
IT Problems? the fix may be here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back