Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pad zero to left of [h]:mm:ss cells if no number already present 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haru2002

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
JP
I would like to pad a zero to the left of a time value if no number is already present to the left of the ":".

I am importing a lot of data from another application. The data is in the format [h]:mm:ss. However, when the time value is less than one hour, nothing appears to the left of the leading ":". (for example :05:12 for 5 minutes and 12 seconds.) When the value is above one hour, there is no problem (example: 2:34:12).
I need to have a leading zero so I can total the time values. Doing this manually is not an option due to the large volume of data.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Regards,

Try [hh]:mm:ss.

It will give you two zero's, but it may suffice

Thanks, just tried it by painting the [hh]:mm:ss format on the data. It adds a zero if there is already a figure in the hour section, but if there is nothing there, it remains as is.
Did I do something wrong here?

Try this additional step, it may make my previous advice redundant.

Look at Tools>options>view>display zero values checkbox.
Ensure that the checkbox is set.

That may toggle the view if there is 0 in the cell. If the cells is empty, I cannot find an immediate soultion other than filling those cells with a zero.

Importing a time in a format like :05:12 for 5 minutes and 12 seconds, will actually import as text.

So you need a new column, say to the right of the imported times, and use this formula to convert these text cells to times :
=IF(LEFT(A1,1)=":",TIMEVALUE("0"&A1),A1)

and copy down as required.

You should be able to do summing on the new column.

Cheers, Glenn.

Thanks,
That is what I'm looking for. It would have been nice to convert the values within the same cell, but it is an easy work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back