Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packets sent = 3,274,290,832,129. Packets received = 83 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
We have an XP machine that has a huge (trillions) amount of packets being sent out (to where we don't know), and only receiving a handful back. This is causing the entire workgroup (only 4 PC's) to slow down and internet browsing is affected as well. Really can't find what is being sent out or what program is doing the sending; there are no rogue processes running, and firewall and scanners show no large activity. Could this be a network adapter problem? It is on a Sony Vaio with an Intel PRO/100 VE adapter, and there are two Network Bridges that we cannot delete through normal means. Any thoughts? Thanks

Download a portscanner like LANguard or nmapwin and scan the machine.

If the results match your running processes, then you probably have a jabbering NIC and should replace it.

If not, then the open ports and descriptions given by the scanner will probably tell you what the rogue process is and give you some ideas on how to stop it.

I thought of another thing after my first post that you can do. Download Ethereal and capture the packets from that machine and look at the destination address to see what port they are exiting the PC and where they are going.....

Are you sure it's clean of spyware?

Sometimes it is hard to tell. I suggest downloading both Ad-aware and Spybot and running both to clean the system.

If the numbers were slightly skewed, then yes it could possibly be a bad adapter or faulty driver. But because of the extremely lopsided stats, it appears that some process on the PC is the culrpit.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

1. If you have enabled uPnP on the machine, this is normal. By telling XP not to display the task icon for your uPnP Gateway you can reduce this significantly.

2. Norton Anti-Virus Discovery Service will do this if not configured to only check local addresses.

3. A trojan is possible. Download SpyBot (free) and scan all machines.

4. A hot NIC. Leave each machine off for a while and see if the traffic disappears. You have found the hot box. Often you can look at your router or hubs traffic lights, or if the NIC has an activity light you can visually inspect it for rapid flashing.

I have the same problem on a Sony and am keen to find out what the solution was. Is a new NIC needed or was it spyware or some port issue?

The uPnP discovery service is most likely the cause.
It is easily ruled out:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Compenents, Network Services, Uncheck Internet Gateway and Discovery Services and Uncheck uPnP Client. Apply.

I assume you're basing your count of "trillions" on the Status display when you look at the network adaptor. You can pretty much assume that what's shown there is inaccurate (mine is at 53 trillion and counting.)

Keeping in mind that the $3500 Cisco 3550 switch I just bought handles 17 million pps (packets per second) and the count in XP shows the number growing by 8 billion per second, it seems pretty obvious it's an XP/driver issue.

[thumbsup] The problem is solved!!! [bigsmile]

I have a SONY VAIO notebook (PCG-R505GCP). I tried everything that it's been suggested on this thread, but finally I solved the problem by updating the driver from SONY's online support:

and choose your notebook model under "Computers & Peripherals". Then choose "Updates that Solve Problems & Enhance Functionality " and for my model I got:

"IN-M13300802JQ.EXE Ethernet Network
Number of sent packets incorrectly reported in the Local Area Connection Status 11/7/2002"

Good luck!!! [smile]

capricorn2002 thanks for the information. I have a Gateway with an Intel PRO/100 VE integrated chipset. The exe you listed doesn't work in my system, but the information from the download page provided me the direction to resolve me problem. Sony has the only information I've found that specifically listed this error. I did find new updates on the Intel page, though they didn't list this as an error. The link and file are listed below:

prokxpm.exe v8.4 dated 4/16/2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back