Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packet Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

uniopp

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
JP
I'm trying to understand about packet size and the speed of my internet connection as well as the charges relating to my 3G mobile connection.
I recently setup a broadband connection (at home in Japan) and the speed was very slow until I adjusted the TCP Receive Window and MTU settings. On my desktop, the MTU is set to 1500 which seems to give me the maximum speed. My home connection is fiber optic with a maximum of 100Mbps (receiving).
On my laptop which uses a 3G mobile connection (also in Japan), I have not altered/tuned any settings so I guess everything is Win XP default. My 3G provider charges per packet (128 bytes) for speeds of up to 384 kbps (sending) and 3.6 Mbps (receiving).
The Win XP local area connection status seems to indicate very different packet activity (e.g. sent and received packets) on each machine for the same content/data amount.
Is one packet on my desktop the same size as one packet on my laptop?
If my mobile provider charges me by the packet would they be limiting the packet size to 128 bytes? If so, what is that doing to my speed (e.g. if less data is being sent per packet would that be reducing my data transfer speed)?
As you can probably guess, I don’t understand much about this subject. If you need more details please ask me specific questions.
Thank you and I hope you understand what I am trying to ask?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back