Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packet CD/DVD Data Recoverable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaNumeric

Technical User
Jun 19, 2006
US
Wondering if someone who knew this field better than I could possibly answer this question for me and anyone else with the same problem.

Situation is highly annoying and not the first time it's happened. I have a DVD+RW formatted as a removable drive via Roxio Drag-to-Disc, which is dedicated to the storage of specific project-related files. I'll be working on a file for that project, save it to the drive using the "Save As" WinXP dialogue accordingly, and all seems well...until the computer crashes, or I have to shut down manually. When I reboot, the file I thought to have saved is gone, presumably because DtD did not prepare the data on the disc to be "officially" saved.

Frankly I don't understand this (it doesn't always happen; there are times when saving is saving and everything's fine), so I am asking if there is a way to recover such data —commercial or otherwise—and what preventive measures can be taken to avoid this problem in the future, aside from just saving a backup copy on the HD, which is often too full for me to clutter any further.

Thanks in advance

As far as I have seen with DVD RW's unless the data was actually burned to the disk there is no way to get it back when the computer crashes. The information that would have been written to the DVD would have been purged from the RAM at startup and that cannot be recovered, unfortunately...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back