Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packaging VB6 Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOLBoy

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
GB
Hi,
I have developed an application in VB6. The .exe generated is about 0.5 megabytes. After I have run it through the 'Package & Deployment wizard' the distributable file is an enormous 15 megabytes.

Are there any tips on how to reduce this size?

The .exe file is just your complied code. It doesn't include any code from ActiveX controls or DLL's you might have referenced. If you're using ADO or other libraries the Wizard will include the entire MDAC in your setup program, thus bloating it. It also will include the VB runtime DLL, ActiveX controls etc....look inside the support folder of your install, you'll see all the stuff required to run your code. The only way around this is to either not use these DLL's or if you know that the destination machine already has the MDAC, VB runtime etc.. you can remove them from your setup program... but then you run into version problems and other gotcha's.

It's difficult and dangerous to mess with a PDW package.
I think you should just accept the fact that you may need
to use a CD-ROM to distribute your application (but most
software is already distributed that way, so no problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back