Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packaging Adobe Acrobat 5.0 & problems after running second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseUser2

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
US
I have a couple of questions:
a)I'm using ver 3.5 and setup capture. Its asking me if I want to use the merge module or the dll file. What does this question mean?

b)After packaging and running the msi. it says that it can't register 2 files with API extensions. I went to the selfreg section under tables and took out those 2 files. It seems to package and install fine. When I first launch Adobe Acrobat Reader, it runs fine and the PDF files have the correct icon/association to Acrobat. However, the 2nd time I open Acrobat, the files with pdf extension suddenly don't have the correct icon anymore(they used to have the red pdf icon but now they have the box with diskette icon like an installtion icon). Also the Installer progress bar comes up as if it was running on repair mode. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks for helping a new user.

Firstly Adobe 5 is an Installshield routine , so you should really use this, as capturing these installs is messy, the setup can be invoked silently from a Custom Action..Merge Modules are packages sets of dlls, runtime etc that are predefined by MS, and as such you should always use these in preference to putting them in you app dir, unless you need to use specific versions then you can isolate these in your appdir, by adding them to the Isolated component table.

Thank you for the tips!! I will keep them in mind.

Can you guys elaborate? I'm trying to package Adobe myself, but cannot get it to create the PDF Printer....

I don't think we have the same problem. There are other users having the same problem. You can search and maybe get some answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back