Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packaging Access DBs for non-Access users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimoblak

Instructor
Oct 23, 2001
US
Back in the day, one would use Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition to create distributions of an Access database. I've been out of the loop for a while... Is this product still available if I wanted to create databases for really old systems (Win95)? I have browsed the Microsoft web site to determine what can be used for current development and got confused. What options do I have for purchasing a current SDK for Access databases?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

If you still have Office 97 developer, then continue to use that. There are Developer versions of newer Office versions with an Access runtime and package/deployment tool if you want to move to a newer version of Access as well.

John

Cynical question: How much work & money do you want to put into an Access97 / Win95 application? Have you looked at the Microsoft support schedule (sorry I don't have URL)? (Personally I'm wondering how much energy to even put into JET development these days, since rumor is that Microsoft will move to shelve it and replace with MSDE.) If you're totally isolated from upgrades of MDAC, etc. you should be allright, but you might not be able to upgrade the app to newer versions (not sure if XP/2003 Access even do 97 at this point).

Jeffrey R. Roberts
Insight Data Consulting
Access, SQL Server, & Oracle Development

No, I don't have Office 97 Developer. My ex-wife was the one that used Office 97 Developer and I have no intent in opening that can of worms. I am now wondering if she was legally licensed to use it - - I don't recall us purchasing anything more than Office 97 Professional. If I feel spiteful I might visit bsa.org. The funny thing is that one of the projects that she created was for a sheriff's office. Wouldn't that be funny if the sheriff was using unlicensed software? ...but I digress in a bad way...

Regarding the work that needs to be put into an Access97 / Win95 application, The database is already built in Access 97. I simply need to make a distribution of that. It is a concern that the database may not be upgradeable to the current Access versions but I am content since it can at least run in WindowsXP.

Do I understand correctly that the only route to go is to upgrade to Office 2003 and then get the Visual Studio Tools for MS Office? ( )

...or can applications like Visual Basic create distributions of Access 97 databases as well? I have access to VB6.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

VB6 $$
Visual Studio.NET $$$$
Access $$
Access w/runtime $$$$
Access 2003 $$$
Access Server w/ XML, MSDE, ASP & Cigarette Lighter $$$$$$

Why on earth would you hope for Crystal Reports in Access, an Access gui in VB, interchangeable combo boxes & forms...

There's gold in them products & upgrades.[thumbsdown]

Jeffrey R. Roberts
Insight Data Consulting
Access, SQL Server, & Oracle Development

For getting office 97 developer, you might try ebay or other second hand places to see if there are any for sale.
However, VB can access Access databases, so if you just use access for the data and can write an interface app in VB, you can compile that and use the VB runtime.

I'm not too sure about the only way being to get Office 2003 and the Visual Studio tools for it, because Access 2003 I don't think will allow me to read/write Access 97 databases without conversion - my Access XP certainly won't, and a read only database is quite useless in 99.9% of all known applications.

John

On the same vein (I think) I have some access 97 and some access 2000 dbs I'd like to turn into standalone applications. They are too complicated to go the VB6 route.

Do you know if I can turn them into applications using Microsoft Visual Studio Tools 2003? or do I have to get Access 2003 first, in order to upgrade them to 2003 before the runtime in Microsoft Visual Studio Tools 2003 can use them?

Cheers,

Chris

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
(don't let the b@st@rds get you down)

Since your are all waxing so knowledgeable about producing run time version of Access dbs can anyone enlighten me as to the product called Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition Tools. Is this the full Office 97 Dev Ed. or just a set of ad-ons, and if the latter will it convert my copy of Office97 Pro into Office 97 Pro. Dev Ed. or enable me to convert my Access 97 databases into run-time versions.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back