Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PACKAGE & DEPLOYMENT WIZARD ADDING FILES??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNN

Programmer
Sep 13, 2000
US
I have a small app that last time I used the package and deployment wizard I had 3 cab files. 1.44meg each. Used 3 diskettes. Now some months later the same app is requiring 9 diskettes with 14 cab files 1.44meg . I only made nominal changes to code in the app.

Can't understand why all these additional files, mostly dll files. Where could they have come from??

I did update my win2000 since last time. Would that have something to do with it???

TNN, Tom

TOM

Before you build your Package it's best to remove any unrequired references from your project, from both your Toolbox and Project References.

I had the same issue a while back while. I was playing with the P&DW, and the size of my single CAB file would have sunk the Titanic it was that large! So I removed all redundant objects from the Toolbar and References from the Project, and saved a huge amount of space.

The resulting CAB file (12Mb) was still large enough to sink a small boat but no where near as big as it was. Mind you considering the application itself was only 28K it makes you wonder!

HTH

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

William,
My reference and toolbox items have not changed. I have exactly the same app except for the few minor changes I made to code, yet the items in the support folder has grown dramatically. I have files in there that were not there previously.

The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded win 2000 updates from microsoft and maybe somehow this caused files to be added to my support folder.

Is there any way to relate the files in the support folder to the app. In other words, how do you know what each file is for and is it pertinent to the app???

William, Thank You for your reply.

TNN, Tom

TOM

I don't understand this but I found the culprit that is making my cab files sooo big. It's file MDAC_TYP.EXE 7.6meg.
This file was not in my original package, why is it here now?? Something to do with Microsoft win 2000 updates that I loaded??

Any help is appreciated. TNN, Tom

TOM

I guess as you say in your second post that it is a result of updates etc. The implication here is that your changes now require the need for the MDAC_TYP to be supplied to the client.

Of course, one way to test this is to remove the mdac_typ from the installation package and install it on a target machine. If it works... But if it doesn't then I guess you'll need to provide it.

Or you could suggest to the user that they can get the "latest" version of mdac_typ from the MS site and provide a link in your documentation. Saving you time need to provide it.

HTH

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

mdac_typ.exe is the installer for ADO. If you use ADO data access in your program it is required, you can't just include the dll's that are used as they wont register correctly. I believe you can select that the mdac will be downloaded from microsoft instead of including it in your package, but this can make more problems.

To be honest you will probably be better off creating one cab file and using a cd to distribute it. Virtually all PC's have cd/dvd drive and alot are now being produced without a floppy drive.

Matt

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you obviously haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation

I don't see any ADO objects in my app but maybe I'm missing something. I did install without the mdac_typ.exe, works fine but machine had mdac_typ.exe already installed.

Is mdac_typ.exe a file that has to be registered in the registry?? My knowledge of the registry is almost nill.

Thanks for all your input.

Tnn, Tom

TOM

The installer will register the components for you. The problem comes sometimes the P&D wizard just inludes the required DLL's, normally this isn't a problem but the MDAC DLL's seem to fail to register that way.

Most machines these days already have MDAC installed so you should be fine. Just be weary of the version you are using, if you are using a newer version than what is on the target machine you may have problems.

regards

Matt

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you obviously haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back